Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

New Blue girl

11K views 166 replies 34 participants last post by  DobbieLovie 
#1 ·
I just put a deposit on a 4 week old Blue Doberman pup. She will be coming home with me next Saturday which is quite young. The mom has not taken interest in this litter, she has basically been forced to nurse and has recently started snapping at the pups so they breeder intends to start weening and is letting them go to new homes at 5 weeks where they can get more 1 on 1 attention.

I have alot of experience with raising a pup on a bottle, and on formula. I do have formula on hand and will continue to mix it in her solid food for about a week.

Here is my question... that being said, I have three other dogs. I want her to meet them and be accepted as early as possible. My male dobe is 17 months old so I'm looking for suggestions on how much time I should allow him to spend around her. Obviously, there will be no unsupervised time together, but how do you all feel about me allowing her around him at 5 weeks?

Btw, his name is "Diesel" and her name will be "Deja Blu" (Deja for short)

#7 ·
Yes, she's a BYB and I dont like how she's overbred her bitch. However this is my puppy as of Saturday. I am not a BYB and I will love her and care of her through anything that comes our way.

Getting a tested dog in my area is near impossible. I live in the middle of North Dakota and I've been looking for well over 6 years for doberman breeders. Last year, I finally broke down and got a male from another BYB, he has been to the vet, has been given a clean bill of health. He is at a healthy weight, my vet adores him and he will always be taken care of. If he has any health issues at any time in his life, I will deal with them and treat them as necessary.

I am not concerned about where she is coming from... if she were a 3 year old in a shelter and I were "rescuing" her with NO idea where she came from, then I would be saving her. I wanted a doberman to add to my family, I am getting her, and I know how to properly care for her. I am tryin to be proactive and get advice from others about how to introduce my other dobie to her, and getting nothing but slack about her breeder. If you dont want to help me, thats fine, just dont comment.

#8 ·
I never said I didn't want to help but I was just curious if you know she is from a byb then why pay for her and still get her? that is supporting that byb and giving her more money to be able to breed her bitch again. you don't have the puppy yet so you still have time to back up. But if you persist on getting a byb pup then go for it, hope she ends up healthy. stick around and you can learn a lot here. Can't see why anyone else wold condone going ahead with the deal and buying the pup anyways. good luck.

#10 ·
I see your point, and if there were other options in my area I would consider them. However I've searched the rescues statewide, and like I said before I've been looking for quite some time.

If I dont buy this little girl, someone will, passing up on her will not change their ability to sell her. Dobermans are very rare in our area and sell quickly. I did drive to their home today, I saw the puppy, felt her joints, looked at her eyes, nose, ears. Checked out her feet, tail, legs and spent some time talking to the woman that owns the parents. She does own both parents, as well as two other dobies. The live on a farm about 6 miles from my friends farm. They are BYB, but they are not a puppy mill. Their house was clean, dogs all looked healthy and happy. They were running loose on the farm with their owner, not confined to crates or kennels. I didnt care for the quality of food they were feeding, but I will switch the puppy over after I get her.

I have a vet appointment the Monday after I pick her up, she will get wormer, first shots, microchipped, and get full vet examination by my vet. If my vet finds any reasons for concern, then I would return her to the breeder.

#42 ·
Dobermans are very rare in our area and sell quickly. [snip]... If my vet finds any reasons for concern, then I would return her to the breeder.
Obviously, Dobes aren't "very rare" in your area, because at least three posters came up with the name of a respected, reputable breeder pretty darn quickly. And that info was public record on at least one major Doberman website.

And yeah, sure, you can try and return her to the breeder. Of course, that's if the breeder will take her back. And, of course, that ruins your justification for taking her. Of course, a vet isn't likely to find much wrong with a 5 week old pup (except the whole *it's potentially illegal to buy a puppy that young* thing). Most health problems, including CDA in dilutes, don't generally show up until after age 2. But you probably know that already.

#12 ·
I'm aware of the skin issues of a blue. I have a fawn miniature pinscher too, she is 4 years old, has a beautiful coat although it is very fine like peach fuzz. I don't feed her any foods that contain corn as I understand it is very bad for all dogs, but especially the dilutes. Aspen, my fawn had a litter of pups (and yes, my dogs have been health tested, as was the sire) and I made sure to inform each new owner about the special care necessary for a dilute dog.

I agree, I love lots of information, however there still has not been a single post regarding my actual question. I guess I'll just introduce them as I feel works best for us. As far as only 12 posts, I haven't had much to say in the past year. I felt that this was a great place to come for good information, but when things are going well, I don't spend alot of time on forums. Diesel is doing great, and gets a big thumbs up from my vet so I haven't had much reason to hop on here. Unless someone has a great suggestion on digging issues... Diesel seems to think my yard shouldn't be flat. He wants hills and holes!!

#16 ·
Is this site only for people who get their dogs from reputable breeders so they say or is it for anyone who owns a doberman regardless of where they got him/her from? I think it is sad that if you dont pay thousands of dollars for your doberman it means you didnt get a good pup. I see it all the time on here. Just because someone didnt have their dog health tested does not mean the puppies are going to have health issues. My Aunt had a doberman that died at the age of 14 and she def didnt pay thousands for and he died of old age bless his heart. He had a good life and was taken care of. So is this site for expensive dobermans or is it for people who own them regardless of where they got them from? No one knows if their dog will ever have a health issue. Testing parents does not mean the puppies will never have a problem in their later years. Yes I posted a thread on here that I paid 5000 for my doberman puppy that will never have health issues. I figured if I said that I might get a warm welcome but I was still ridiculed. I didnt pay that much for her. I did lie. I got her from a dear friend and she only has the parents. I thought at first she was way too thin, but my vet said she was perfect. Now she is getting big and she's so beautiful and I couldn't ask for a better pet. I have learned a lot on here, I love to see pictures of other dobermans and I love to read about their pets. I hate to see people get on here only to see them get bashed. Most replies are "who is the breeder?". If this site is for only the ones that have health tested parents and you pay thousands for then just say so, I will not come back. I dont post anything anymore because its not worth people saying my dog isn't good enough. No one has said that directly to me, but its the feeling I get because my dobermans parents weren't health tested. Some people on here are nice and accept you regardless. :screama:

#17 ·
I think you are missing the point about why many on this site are compassionate about using a reputable breeder when it comes to obtaining a puppy.
As long as people continue to purchase puppy from disreputable sources then only the Doberman as a breed will suffer and BYB will continue to spew out puppies with questionable health year after year.

A reputable breeder will also take back a dog they bred and rehome them, why do you think do many Doberman end up in rescues, your BYB won't want to know.

Sorry it's the Doberman we all love that suffer as long as there are people willing to buy cheap.

And people like me who pick up the pieces ( I volunteer and am continually out of pocket) and have to rehome the unfortunate ones, many with health issues !!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#20 ·
The only advice I can give you, since you're getting this puppy, is to save THOUSANDS of dollars in a savings account, I'm not joking.

You're getting a blue Doberman
It's from a byb
Being taken away at 5 weeks (which might be illegal in your state)

Dobermans have a large list of health issues, so on top of that, lets add all the potential problems a blue may have, that you will have to take care of.

From a byb it's safe to say the puppy is from bad lines, and the breeder probably didn't do any prep work for the pups before going to the owner. Your going to have to be proactive with health testing, and may have to endure problems acossiated with poor conformation.

5 weeks is too young. So save up on possible behaviourists and trainers, to try and iron out dog issues.

Good luck.

#21 ·
I got both of my dogs from BYB's, unaware of the distinction between breeders. I got ripped apart for it when I came here. Maybe its because some of the members are just that passionate about the breed, maybe its because some of the members feel they are smarter than others, and maybe its because some of the members just like being that way. I dont know. What I do know is now that the members know where my dogs came from, and that I didnt know any better when I did it, they have gotten past it, and have given good advice to me about alot of things. Would I expect to be torn apart if I posted that in spite of my knowledge I got another BYB, yes. These people have for whatever reason gone out of their way to post good helpful info on the dangers of buying from a BYB. Has it always been in the nicest way? no. Has it always been for the good of the breed? yes.
That being said, if you insist on buying the puppy from this breeder, I would suggest not allowing it around the older dogs until it is at least 8 weeks old. Keep the pup confined to a play pen so the other dogs can interact without harming it, and become familiar, and when it reaches the normal age of leaving its litter, then proceed with physical interaction.
And, in time perhaps the members here will get over where the pup came from and give you some sound advice on any issues that might arise in the future. I know I have gotten good advice here, I hope you do too.

#22 ·
The bitch to my puppy caught mastitis only a week after she started nursing and also tried to attack her puppies. But my breeder didn't let the puppies go early because of that. She bottle fed each and ever baby until they were weaned. She spent countless days away from work and many nights unable to sleep to ensure her puppies were healthy by the time they were ready to leave her. 8 weeks later, Toorc was mine and both Jennie and Sharon constantly check up on him :) people here are just trying to save you the heartache that most unfortunately experience and that, is losing their best friend too early.

#23 · (Edited)
I have a client that spent 1800 on her standard poodle. Was suppose to be the best of the best. Lance is now 6 years old, but at age 3, HE WENT BALD. Till this day that dog had barely if any coat. I feel so bad for the lady because I couldnt imagine thinking that I paid, really 2,000, and not even 4 years, he's completely bald.

I introduced Bronson to Jayda and saw that he was intimidated by her size and would cry whenever she would try to play with him ( now its the opposite). This was at 9 weeks. Doberman's can play really hard and Jayda can really knock a punch whenever she headbutts me. I would introduce them but no play time until the puppy is much older and stronger. Last thing you want is for Diesel to accidentally make her break a rib or a leg.

#24 ·
You couldn't PAY ME to take a puppy this young and deal with the likely issues that will come from being removed from the litter too early, as well as the possible health or temperament issues from poor breeding practices. I'm not saying that as an "elitist" but as someone who bought a dog from that type of breeder and has learned her lesson. Our new pup is from an outstanding breeder and the differences between raising him and our first girl are too numerous to count.

#31 ·
And, note that the OP has bred dilute MinPins, mentions not a word about titling, has another young Doberman (male, I bet).

Anyone here who can't do the math, as to where this poor five week old puppy bitch's life is leading?

The cycle continues...

I agree with Meadowcat. I would never intentionally and willingly take on a puppy this young, especially with my recent experience with a dog purchased at 5 weeks. The dog has absolutely no bite inhibition and is a walking liability. Good luck, you'll need it.
Putting this here, in the teeny tiny hope OP will read, and use the information:

Bite Inhibition Article

#29 ·
To the OP. I got 1 puppy at 4 weeks and 1 puppy at 6 weeks. I only had 1 other small dog so introducing them wasnt even a big deal. At that young your puppy is going to be whining and looking for mommy (all nite long) for about 3-4 days and not much sleep to come. Its hard at first and does get better. As far as introducing to your large dogs it really depends if there playful or curious or may act aggressively to a puppy. Slowly introduce the puppy while holding the puppy. Let your adults sniff the puppy. just dont leave them unsupervised or to rough house around the puppy. id love to see pictures!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.