Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Please welcome new baby girl - Bruda Around The World Kelly

59K views 407 replies 125 participants last post by  MeadowCat 
#1 · (Edited)
It is with great dober pleasure, to announce & share our new family addition...KELLY...at 9.5 weeks old.
Last Friday we drove from Ontario, Canada, across 3 States to Illinois to get our new baby girl...with Nancy, Andrew (son) and Larry on board.
Friday was 11 hours on the road, stayed overnight in Chicago, off to breeders and back home, another 14 hours Saturday travelling.
- round trip totalling 1950 Km or 1200 miles
- she was great in the car, and we stopped several times / two of us went into a restaurants and one stayed back, to baby sit
- had lots of time to cuddle & bond some, on the loving trip home...and luckily the weather was perfect
I could not have asked for more good luck, we love our Kelly girl dearly.
- Sandra G.Hunter (aka Sandi) has a super clean facility, and 3 adult dobes, sleep in her bedroom at night / very nice and most knowledgeable breeder.

Kelly is from the pairing of:
sire: BISS GCh/Can Ch Lyndobe's Turn On Da Charm WAC CGC
dam: Ch Bruda Up In Spirit
- producding 4 girls & 5 boys = 4 black/5 red pups

FYI - Interview with Sandra G.Hunter, the famous Doberman Breeder, BRUDA DOBERMANS, Illinois USA.
Interview Date : 27th March 2004 Woodstock Dog Training School | Dog Grooming, Dog Breeds, Dog Diet, Dog Health, Training Dogs, Dog Trainers, Dog Trainer, Dog Training School, Dog Training, Dog Obedience Training, Dog Security Training, Dog Grooming Services

Stay tuned - I have lots more pictures, to share...with my DT friends / and puppy "story time" to tell.
(LOL - son taught me how to shrink & link photos, off my new camera, just last night)

Downtown Chicago, photo taken early Saturday morning...checked out before 6:00 am.

Leaving Chicago, photo from Volvo wagon window...3 more hour drive, to see our puppy.

Illinois flat countryside, lots of tall windmill's across one long stretch of hwy...another 45 minute drive, for exciting puppy time.

Mom gets first look, for her new baby - black or red girl, is still the breeders secret.

We always give our son Andrew, 1st honors to hold the family dober puppy.
- he said he will remember this family trip, for the rest of his adult life

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See less See more
#128 ·
Man she is going to get spoiled. Lol cuz I would hahaha

#129 ·
Beaumont, she is just precious.
Love all the pictures.

Wee Kelly has already figured out "home" is a good place to be.
she seems to have settled right in.
Warm oatmeal every night! Wow, Kelly really landed with the right family. I can just see her galloping into the kitchen when she hears the tinkle of the spoon. Smarty pants.

I am so glad to hear your new bundle has helped to heal your heart.
We all know that no dog will ever replace your beautiful Amy, but Kelly will bring so much love & joy into your home.

#131 · (Edited)
Beaumont, she is just precious.
Love all the pictures.

Wee Kelly has already figured out "home" is a good place to be.
she seems to have settled right in.
Warm oatmeal every night! Wow, Kelly really landed with the right family. I can just see her galloping into the kitchen when she hears the tinkle of the spoon. Smarty pants.

I am so glad to hear your new bundle has helped to heal your heart.
We all know that no dog will ever replace your beautiful Amy, but Kelly will bring so much love & joy into your home.
ThankYou all & flaminscotch - reading your posts & I just broke down & cried (again) / warm loving happy tears (wet), for old Amy girl.
(problem is: I will never forget her)

I am on the computer, after just coming home from my retirement home reno. - and Kelly sensed my emotions & tears, after I logged on here.
- so she jumped up on my legs, and "washed my face" with puppy tongue...it was what I needed, and Kelly is filling the void
- totally different than my previous puppy, Dad is finally in heaven again...new Kelly, brings me a ton of joy

At the job site - Kelly layed under the chop saw horses today (LOL)...when we were cutting 14 ft. cedar planks.
My hired man (professional) said, "this dog is a pleasure to work around"...not like other dogs on different properties...there just a PITA.

Our reno city airport property has 200 ft. of frontage.
She hasn't wondered past half way...I unloaded $500 worth of wood this morning, and young Kelly never wondered out of my range of vision.
- coming along nicely, BUT 1st month was 24/7 WORK...he-he

She is a little doll! We definitely need more pictures! :D
^^^^ Yea I know (LOL) - and this old man, lost the battery charger to my new camera...yesterday, battery died / and can't find the charger.
- so now dumb-ass has to reorder / go figure...he-he

#136 · (Edited)
Kelly photos from, brick bunglow job site reno...none of the working noises of power tools, bothered her one bit.

Playing Tug with a nylon butterfly.

Socks are great chew toys - as Dad has supervised me enough, not to digest them.

Relax time.

Power nap time.

Kelly on the run again...he-he.

What should we do next Dad...now let me think, for a moment.

#139 ·
Beaumont67... Kelly is so cute. How old is she now? And she seems well behaved! :) Thank you for sharing pics. Share as many as you can.

I just spoke with Sandi & we will be heading down to see the new pups this Sunday. They will be about 4.5 weeks old on Sunday. I will post pics when I get home. It is about a 6.5 hour drive. So it is worth it for us to go visit.

#140 · (Edited)
^^^^ Nickie - that is most exciting news...seeing the Bruda litter (Dec. litter from J'Adore x Turner.) so early, you don't exactly have a short drive on Sunday either. Say hi to Sandi for us, and xoxoxo to the furbabies from Canada.

Kelly was born on September 10th. 2012, so she just turned 4 months old.
Potty training went quite well, after a few weeks, just a few accidents and now "no more cleanup"...LOL.
She was confident as a new puppy and just last week, our reno house had a knock on the front door, and she was all barks & growls.
I praised her (good girly/show Dad) as we headed to the door and then said ENOUGH as I started to turn the door handle & greet the visitor.
Kelly tended to be a little uncertain of neighbor children (when came home at 9.5 weeks old), but the last few weeks I had the carpenters two highschool kids helping on the job site (over Xmas holidays) and she soon learned to check on the boys frequently and often bring the boys a toy, to play with her. I told the boys, I am paying you kids to work, or hold the dog (take your pick, he-he)...Kelly got picked up & love many times, by others.
Being around the carpenter and his power tools, has been really good for her learning and staying in a comfort zone, around various distractions.

Kelly was more the handful for the first month, but I start potty training from day1 all off-leash and just last week, she was introduced to crate training...since the only crate I have was out at the other property.
Just left the crate door open, put the LLBean dog mattress inside, threw in a handfull of toys and she took to it like a duck to water...Yea.
Now when she needs a little rest or nap, Kelly just walks right into the open crate and makes her bed, with a bit of paw work.

First month Dad's hands was a pin cushion for the dober puppy shark teeth, and once I went to bed putting iodine on my cuts and back hand skin...next morning I woke up and said, "enough is enough"...I shifted my expectations and almost overnight she learned soft bite/muzzle control.
- and it was no different with our last puppy 12 years ago, I initially take the bites (hands only) so my wife can be spared
Once the bits practically stopped, Kelly quickly learned to stop her chewing blankets, pillows, news paper, binder corners and running around with Moms leather sandles....almost overnight. The first month of new puppy was 24/7 constant supervision, and probably that helped build the behavior, she grew into. Pretty easy to manage now, while Kelly gets many freedoms in the home, that she has learned to respect...she is my buddy, every day.

#142 ·
Beaumont, I love your training philosophy. We did very similar things when training our first two except we integrated the crate right from the start. I spent A LOT more time training off leash than I did on leash, especially when they were very young(8-16 weeks). By the time they were both 16 weeks we had them pretty much "command" trained as well as trained to "stay in the yard". This time will be a little tougher because I'm doing my puppy training in the winter so the front yard training sessions will be less often as well as shorter amounts of time. Not sure how I'm going to go about being effective at that this time around. It all depends on the severity of our weather(snow and cold). I told myself that I would never get a puppy in the winter because it makes the training so much tougher but Sandi had a litter coming in the winter and we weren't about to take a chance at waiting for the next litter. We've waited long enough! Anyways, you're not alone in your style of training. We didn't do any extensive treat training and always had their undivided attention when we wanted it. I'm convinced that the most important part of our success was constant supervision so we were there to make immediate corrections as well as simply getting, and holding their attention. The constant supervision also lends help to anticipating what they were going to do before they even did it. I believe those two things were 99% of our success. I'm hoping that this one won't be the exception. It's been a long time since we've had a puppy in this house...

#144 · (Edited)
Beaumont, I love your training philosophy. We did very similar things when training our first two except we integrated the crate right from the start. I spent A LOT more time training off leash than I did on leash, especially when they were very young(8-16 weeks). By the time they were both 16 weeks we had them pretty much "command" trained as well as trained to "stay in the yard". This time will be a little tougher because I'm doing my puppy training in the winter so the front yard training sessions will be less often as well as shorter amounts of time. Not sure how I'm going to go about being effective at that this time around. It all depends on the severity of our weather(snow and cold). I told myself that I would never get a puppy in the winter because it makes the training so much tougher but Sandi had a litter coming in the winter and we weren't about to take a chance at waiting for the next litter. We've waited long enough! Anyways, you're not alone in your style of training. We didn't do any extensive treat training and always had their undivided attention when we wanted it. I'm convinced that the most important part of our success was constant supervision so we were there to make immediate corrections as well as simply getting, and holding their attention. The constant supervision also lends help to anticipating what they were going to do before they even did it. I believe those two things were 99% of our success. I'm hoping that this one won't be the exception. It's been a long time since we've had a puppy in this house...
surf n turf - fantastic to hear, a loving puppy is coming into your home, soon.
- we have a very mild winter, up here in Canada (so far)...he-he...any time of year, for a furbaby, is perfectly timed

Like you, all the hard & exhausting work can be done in the first month or two...off-leash puppy training, I believe to be a #1-KSF.
- if done with control & safety
Piece of cake, afterwards...luckly, we live down a short dead end street...so off-leash on front yard, was of little concern, to me.
- this style of puppy training, is what I like to coin the phrase "reverse engineering"
(pick the vision of your wanted puppy, and then devise the plan working backwards, to get it & accomplish goals/needs)
- we got a very energetic FM this time, constant supervision in the fisrt few initial weeks, avoids many bad habits...from forming

#143 · (Edited)
^^^^ surf n turf - I am most smitten of your post...re. "Beaumont, I love your training philosophy".
ThkYou we know it work, but not widespread used...no treats, no crate, no baby gate, no leash, no fully fenced property, no doberteens...most of time.

Several years ago, I professionally trained 2 eight week old boxer pups (4 one hour sessions, paid in advance)...with male & female littermates.
- after first hour, they asked me why I seem to make it look so easy (LOL)
My reply was, your pups are right now...only listening to me, and until Mom & Dad can absorb/project my voice pitch/body language/expectations (full copy)...your puppies will never learn day-2-day stuff, after I go home.
Week 2-3 I got everything from the young pair I asked for/commanded...all off leash training with the goal of staying off the pavement...absent of a proper fence). So they said, "the boxers listen to you and follow your lead, like your fell in a grease pit"...but not us.
- I said: I could right a book, but I can't teach correction timing / voice pitch persuasion / honest fun play, to others from written text...and it is up to you guys to COPY my mannerisms, then I proved it on our week4 training schedule.

I put the pair of 12 week old boxer pups in a "Beaumont sit/stay" on the front porch...facing the open road, some +100 feet away.
So I say to the husband, "lets go for a walk"...he looked at me like a weird-o when I brought in into his back yard, completely out of both puppies view.
Then I set my wrist watch for 5 minutes, customer asked me what I was doing...I said, "we are going back to retrieve the boxer pups, off the front porch...when time runs out.

We chat and I confide & comfort him, pups will NOT see any harm...5 minutes later, we casually walk back onto the front lawn, and I go directly up on the front porch and release the perfectly sitting & obedient 3 month old boxer pair, from my earlier sit/stay.
Owner Dad was speechless and then he said, "why do the dogs, always want to listen to you...but not us?
(besides zero owner homework)
- my reply " I am more than fair, when I train a pup (and START with proper voice & play/fun time), but eventually results are necessary, and I find the out-of-the-box way to communicate clear expectations".

Stay tuned, Kelly and Dad just started formal Obedience training this afternoon. (several minutes today, with on-leash).
- in the clear open span of our reno house construction...she took basic101OB extremely good & happy to oblige...impressed me most

#147 · (Edited)
Your Talia is a most beautiful girl, and its great that owners of a litter have the ability to keep tabs on the other nice boys & girls.
^^^^ I lifted Kelly up on the home weigh scales today, and she was 30 lbs, still all legs...LOL.

Kelly was most funny today, and a little background info. (since bringing her home, 2 months ago):
- she was infatuated with Moms leather slippers, and on the leather chair, one half pillow and a head rest throw towel.
- when the wife was in the shower today, Kelly brings Mom's slipper downstairs and lays down beside the computer desk with it...but didn't chew it
- several hours later, she grabed Moms slipper again (under the leather chair, this time) and wife asked Kelly nicely to bring it back, and without hesitation Kelly romps back to Mom and returns it
- than Kelly had the half pillow and prancing around the livingroom with it in her mouth, again Mom asks for it back and Kelly was happy to oblige
^^^^ Turns out Kelly may be an attention getter...he-he...luckily destructive puppy chewing is behind us.

Happy to share - Kelly's potential car/truck ride sickness, has been resolved now.
Her mouth use to foam/bubble up in a vehicle, when she rode in my front truck seat, so I started to belly rub her (with my right hand) and talk often while she sat still beside me. Now the car ride anxiety is finally over. Today she got to go into an electrical supply store & sheetmetal tin shop office and run around snooping and meeting new people...than into a Rona building suppy, over my shoulder...soon she will be too heavy, to be carried.

Oh my, she is so darling. I love the way she looks at the camera, I assume that's you. ;) Such a good girl!
^^^^ - Yea, thats my hand on the nylon butterfly.
Today again we did a little leash OB training, in the livingroom...her eye focus, is looking great, from a starting period.
Also, I spun her in 360 degree circles, in the open reno room with Kelly holding a used sock toy in her mouth...we both had a blast playing and she was sliding around on the unfinished hickory hardwood floors.

#146 ·
Beaumont, I couldn't agree more with you on the topic of off leash training and it's importance in the early weeks. I've been trying to continually remind myself of those basic training principles in preparation of the arrival of the new pup. It's not always the most popular form of training but we were so pleased with the results from the last dogs we had that it's going to be tough to abandon the techniques that we implemented back then. Ya know, it has been 14 years since we've trained a puppy so it can seem like a daunting task right now. I've had too much time to think about it and over analyze it and I'm ready to get to doing it.

#151 · (Edited)
Kelly UPDATE:
I had a half hour follow-up talk with Sandi our breeder, yesterday.
She is so happy, picking Kelly out for our family, as she needed to go to a home with dober experience, and knew we would be a good fit.
Turns out her mom was really smart & confident and her grandmom had great watch dog instincts.

I can see both qualities in our girl, but she was an independent-do as I please PITB puppy the first 2 months (lol) & off-leash from day1 did not make it any easier, for me. Sandi was very happy, with Kelly`s progress to date. For a girl, she is as tough as nails, something a Police dog trainer, would probably seek....she was bark guarding our property at 10 weeks old...my former other dobes, not so early.
- Kelly has now learned a fair amound of our English chat/chat...all potty trained & not running wildly away...into the fun puppy period, is a treat

Congrads Kelly is a pretty girl. I love seeing them grow up on DT
I'm glad this post got bumped up. I was wondering the other day if Beaumont might put some recent photos up..... It's been far too long!!! :D
Thks guys, I am retired and have a new fancy camera, still I don't know how to download the memory card by myself and upload links / while my old Canon G3 was a piece of cake, given all the new software and bells & whisles have me scratching my head with this HD photo technology...LOL.
- so I have to rely on Mom mostly and my IT son once, so I plan to get back into posting updates & learn a little more computer stuff

awwwww what a super duber precious lil baby dobie girl!!! Love the prom dress!!....Congrats to you & the fam...sounds like you had an awesome trip...what a lucky puppy girl!
^^^^ The weekend trip was so much family fun.
25 road hours in 2 days and the fact the our adult son wanted to accompany mom & dad, was icing on the cake.
- our son said he was busy with work, but he will remember bringing baby Kelly home, and having fun with us...for the rest of his life

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.