Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Hello DT!

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Brandy&Melanie 
#1 ·
Hey there,

Been lurking on this forum for quite a while now.. and decided what the heck.

I lost my dog last year (non-doberman) and am slowly starting to wish for a bundle of fur back in my life. I've always admired this breed, so I came back onto this forum after a long hiatus to scoop up some information (especially about posting! @_@)

I'm from the lower mainland, BC
I don't mind travelling outside my area for my dream puppy. I wouldn't need any registration, but do they come with one if the parents are show dogs (such is the case with the reputable breeders I find)? Is this partially the reason of the cost as well? I'd really not want to resort to a BYB (I had to google this lol)

Some questions I have is:

Any litters due within the next 6-12 months? I'm not in a hurry at all.
I've been asking around and the puppies seem to go for around $2000 each. Is this normal? I would prefer to spend a little bit more and buy from a reputable breeder, but holy this breed is expensive!
I've read that Dr. Douglas is one of the best. Does anyone know which crop he's best in? I'm probably leaning towards the medium crop, as I'm afraid I wouldn't do a good job maintaining the show crop. My dog would only be a companion pet to boot.

Any recommendations/suggestions?

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi. Welcome to the forum. A couple of your questions are easily answered.

From what I understand, Canada has some fairly specific laws regarding the selling of animals. If they are sold as "purebred", a puppy must be registered.

As for ear cropping, a good breeder will have the ears cropped before the send the puppy home, so you wouldn't need to worry about finding a good cropper (working-line breeders may or may not crop).

From what I've seen mentioned on the forum, $2000 sounds about right for a well-bred puppy from a reputable breeder.

I'm sure someone who knows more than I can steer you towards a good breeder, but you can also check out the DPCC website for their breeders list. Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada

#21 ·
Agreed! Also, just to repeat, don't worry about finding a cropping vet, your breeder should have that all ready to go (assuming you don't rescue). If you think paying $2000 is a lot of money, wait until you get one! ;) They are a really expensive breed to own! However, I like that in your first post you said that you are willing to pay more money for a better dog. Breeders definitely have both show and pet pups in their litters, so it isn't like a companion dog will be $2500. They will more likely be closer to $1800-$2000. :)

#10 ·
Hello,
I just got contacted from a rescue organization regarding a 4 year old doberman male needing a home.
What should I be looking for when meeting him? I have never rescued a dog before neverless a doberman.
From what ive heard, he is a total sweetheart but he was repeatedly bothered by the grandchild and bit her. There arent any small children in my household.
Also, he isnt neutered. Can u still neuter at his age? I usually had my dogs neutered at a young age.. im also worried since hes been with his owner since he was a pup, the transition would be difficult as well as if I had him neutered right away (which id prefer) he would feel resentment to the new owner for the pain and discomfort..
If I can get any insights from all the experienced dobie parents out there itd be great!

Much thanks

#12 ·
A doberman rescue in bc. Darlene?
I havent spoke with her regarding the dog yet, just the owner's neighbours who used to look over him.
Apparently hes a hyper dog as well because his owner was hyper?.. cant imagine a grandmother being all hyper but okay.. im straying from this dog more and more..
Ill have to talk to the organization, I was just contacted few days ago but the dog isnt with the owner now so I have no idea where he is.

#13 ·
I live in Bellingham, and Dr. Douglas is the preferred crop doc in the Pacific Northwest. He can do any crop. The man that imported the dog I am working preferred a short crop (military crop) which is not what I would have chosen, though it looks good. I have seen many long show crops he has done and they look superb. Personally I prefer a pet crop.

#15 ·
Update:

Ive decided to pass on this dog as it turns out he is 7 years old. Im hesitant to have an older dog as I just lost mine last year after 13 years together.

He is a black/tan unneutered male cropped and docked. Sweet tempered so far? Apparently the problem was with the grandchild who wouldnt leave him alone.
The rescue contact said that she would have taken him for herself if she didnt have 3 dogs already which is a good sign?
I hope he finds a good home.. and that the rescue neuters him so he doesnt end up to a hopeful "breeder"

#17 ·
Might be a stupid question, but are there any breeders with pups under $1500?
Im getting an average of $2500 for the puppy and some breeders would like the pup to go to a showing home instead of a companion pet which im looking for.
Its a little disheartening to hear lol :(
I understand that responsible breeders have limited litters and all and with the meticulate care in each puppy, the costs are bound to be high..
Anyone heard of puppies being returned because they werent show material, or they have some aspects that are not suitable to show being sold to just a companion home? Looking at all the happy doberparents makes me so jealous!
Patience is a virtue..... back to hunting on the internet and sending emails >_<
Please post pictures of your doberkids so im satisfied in eye candy lol

#18 ·
$1500 would be on the bottom end of the price range with reputable breeders who do the necessary amount of health testing. When you factor in all of the health testing required of this breed, the high stud fees that most breeders have to pay, as well as the cost of cropping and docking then it becomes clear why the prices are what they are. I also know of a 4 year old spayed female that was dumped in a boarding kennel the other day in BC. Darkevs is looking into it. I posted a bit about it in the rescue section.

#19 ·
I've sent in rescue applications in hopes of finding a match.
Otherwise, I think I will most likely wait until the summer when I'll have more time to spend with the puppy in his puppy stages.
Wingate had one black male in their litter, but I got the feeling she was holding out for a showing home rather than a companion home.
It's all in the waiting game now.. Either wait for an older puppy from a breeder, or a new litter in late spring, or find a match at a rescue! Please keep extra eyes and ears out for me :)
Probably will stick to BC, AB, and as far as Oregon, as I really want to have a look at the puppy beforehand and taking him home with me instead of having him shipped to me from wherever. Anyone do long haul shipping for their puppies before?

Really enjoying this forum so far, so much personalities and great advices, and most importantly..... PICS! :D

#20 ·
Email Darkevs. I got her in touch with the friend who knew about the dog who got dumped. Sounds like some idiots had her before. Apparently an attorney, who did not want to leash the dog, and got numerous citations for refusing to put a leash on the dog in public. Apparently they paid a lot for it initially. I asked my friend from the club to find out more, especially the pedigree, as I think that may be available (though the dog is spayed).

#24 ·
Haven't heard back from Darkevs yet, I think she's busy with Chuck :D

I've never had a female dog before either.. What should I be looking out for? I should mention that I prefer cropped ears and docked tail however. Being spayed isn't a problem as I am only looking for a companion and neutering has always been the obvious choice in my pets.

#23 ·
I've spoken to her regarding her own pups, didn't mention the rescue however. If I decide not to go with her puppies I will mention rescue dogs!

Anyone heard of Roulettes Dobermans? They weren't listed on the DPCC from what I remember, but they are on the DPCA.... am I getting these right?
Regardless, their website is updated with litters on the way, but I can't seem to find any information on them on this forum.

So far, I have decided to keep a close watch with Gentry and Wingate for my future prospect, Foxfire is a close third. Of course, if there are any breeders within my travel spectrum with an older puppy I would entertain that as well (I'd much rather get an older puppy who is well on his way into posting so it's less scary work for me :) and the teething.... oh the horror)

It's just waiting for Mr. Right to come along I guess! :roflmao:

#25 ·
I came across Roulettes Dobermans and am in the process of getting a puppy from her. I think she has a few brown females left from the litter that is just waiting to have its ears cropped. I have been to her house to check things out and meet with her dogs. All her dogs have excellent temperaments and I was very impressed with her.:)

#26 ·
I know nothing about Roulette Dobermans other than what is on their website. I will say that I think $2500 for a pet is a bit high. I know you can get a pet pup from a reputable breeder, fully health tested parents, cropped/docked, for less.

Also, I see no testing other than vWD, so I would question that and also request to see all documentation.

I know nothing about the Euro lines, so can't tell a thing about longevity in the pedigree. But, that is something else I would want to know.

Good luck with your search.

#27 ·
I have a Gentry pup! :) Brandy is simply companion, so no worries there about them only going to show homes :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.