Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Name help needed for girl pup

4K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  PatchworkRobot 
#1 ·
Ok,

This is driving me nuts. Ive had these pups now for 4 days i think and the little boy i deemed Thor. I figured since he is going to grow up and be be strong protector/guard (as the breed was intended for) Thor would be a appropriate name.

But little miss no name..... Ugh its driving me nuts. Im SO picky about names because they have to keep the name there entire life. Not to mention if i have seen a dog with a name i like i feel as if im stealing that dogs name. I know im weird.

So these are a couple names ive came up with:

Luna
Isis
Athena
& Hershey which i almost went with but dont know if thats really a GOOD dog name.

I probably should have thought more on a name before i got her. I really didnt think this through much.

#2 ·
Usually, while I have names thought out before getting an animal, I don't choose one until I find one that fits. Sometimes this takes days but, in the end, the name just comes to me. Why not just wait until a name comes to you? Whyis it so important for the dog to have a name now?

#4 ·
i actually like Jynx too and Lola and Willow.
Naming is so hard maybe im just putting to much thought into it.

To the other poster, Ive been trying to get a name to come to me but it isnt working. To me i feel i need to name her and make it official. I hate her being nameless kinda hard to get her adjusted to her coming to a name if i dont have one for her.

#6 ·
IMO, an animal can grow into a name.
I know others like seeing before hand if it fits which I understand
But I loved the name raffertyy, and Finley before I got my animal,
So I named him Finley and he couldn't be anything else now.
What vet u name her she will fit right into.

This is just on the spot but to go with Thor
Darcee/Darcy
Atla
Eve/ Evie

#7 ·
I find that it is soooo much easier to pick female names than male names.

I can tell you for one thing, the name Hershey is very over used.

We often joke that our next doberman (who will be female) we will named Roulette :)

I too like the name Luna, Lyric and also Ivy.

I'm keeping my unique ideas to myself :p

#9 ·
Well after thinking... This girl is into everything she shouldnt and always into trouble. So im stealing one of the posters ideas of Jynx. It just seems like it would fit her personality.

But now the issue being ill have to find a new name for the male haha. Cause Thor isnt really fiting him. He will grow into it of course but for right now i just feel callin him thor doesnt really fit.

He is very VOCAL, He is a little watch dog. If i sneeze he will jump up and bark. He will howl too if he looses where i go. He follows and he will even whine/bark during feedings lol. He is very exciteable too.

So now that ive settled on a name for her. He will be nameless. Im so picky when it comes to names.

My dog who passed away 3yrs ago was name Jellybean. I got him given to me as a bday present when i was a kid and he was a year old when i got him so i didnt name him but it fit him SO well and was a adorable name. He was my childhood dog.

So now i need to start from scratch for name ideas for a very out going vocal male puppy lol

#12 · (Edited)
Personally not into Greek names, too over used. I do like ppl names for animals :)

How about
Brittany
Haley
Anna
Holly
:)

Edit
Vocal boy:
Steven Tyler
MickJagger
Cobain
Houston or Turner (universal)

#15 ·
I actually miscalculated his age he is 4 weeks. I was going by a month being the 16th he would be 4 weeks but if you go by actual weeks he is 4 weeks. He isnt fearful at all. He loves every bit of attention. Wiggles his little tail and puts his ears back and kisses galore.

I like loki too.

I guess im more into unique names. :p

#17 ·
Not fearful of you, but fearful of being alone and startled when you sneeze, cough, etc. Everything is a first for your little ones and I suggest immediate stimulation to ALL the world has to offer.

Although I must commend you- this is THE forum to have joined with any questions or concerns you have.

I suggest vWb testing immediately! It didn't seem like the person you bought them from was very knowledgeable of the breed and just money hungry. I feel bad for the dam and where she stands in this whole mess.

Have you brought them to see a veterinarian?

I must share one thing with you- it is NOT CHEAP to own a doberman! I suggest finding a doberman savvy vet and establishing a client/patient relationship ASAP!

#19 ·
If you mean von Willebrand's, the abbreviation is vWD.

I don't personally see that as a priority on pups a few weeks old--I imagine this poster is going to be slammed with a lot of the usual puppy bills anyway--times two at that.

And if you meant to suggest the vet do the testing, erm, no. The ELISA test the veterinarians typically offer is notoriously unreliable and does not give an accurate vWD status. It's also pricey, which would be fine if it were reliable, but it's not.

OP, go to the VetGen site or Vetnostics, and order the DNA kit, where you do a cheek swab and send in for testing. That will give you exact results, and tell you the pups' DNA status on vWD.

Reactions: missabaldwin
#18 ·
Yes they been to the vet. Im sure ill have alot of dobie questions as time progresses.
I actually use 3 different vets for different things. Ones just good for routine care, I dont think id trust him with surgery or emergancies. the other vet is ok for everything but when my dog had a emergancy she would over look small things like kinked ivs and leaving the temp reader in her butt and saying oh i forgot about that.
So if i have to i do have a out of town vet i really like. But in emergancy situations a out of town vet wont work.

But yeah i might be blowing up the forums with small questions here and then. There really isnt a better place for doberman questions then people who have actually owned dobies and have been through most of it.

I have very amazed at how smart Jynx is atm. She knows the word No already. I had some left over wet canned food for the male and she kepted trying to get in it and i told her no and forgot i never picked it up. A hour later shes whining and barking and im like what is your problem and looked she was laying by the bowl of wet food looking at it barking and whining cause i told her no so she just didnt go and get in it. So i went ahead and gave it to her for being such a good girl. She catches on so quickly it amazes me.

#23 ·
#26 ·
I really like the name Loki! Doesn't that mean god of mischief or something? I also love the name Jinx for a girl! :)

#27 ·
I apologize for the typo. The mind works quicker than the hands can type at times. Regardless of how you abbreviate it, you get the idea and should test them because you really don't know where they came from. Knowing now is better than finding out the hard way later on.

Regardless of how you obtain your results (personally sent out two vWD titers to an outside lab for CHEAPER than the VetGen test- both times combined) and both came back with similar results. At least that is my baseline BEFORE I sent him to have his ears cropped. At the time of the second vWD send out I had a blood panel run of his full system functions including thyroid. Although I am not promoting this as the BEST method out there- and I agree the VetGen test is the preferred method, being prepared, regardless, is better than nothing. ;)

And I urge to find a vet who can do everything. Multiple doctor practices are excellent places to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.