Baron has DCM

64K views 468 replies 153 participants last post by  dax0402 
#1 ·
I am so devastated. I just don't know what to say. Here are the results:

Mean Heart Rate - 81
High Heart Rate - 200
Low Heart Rate - 48
Total Heart Beats/24 Hours - 110903

There were a total of 989 Ventricular Premature Beats. Of the total, there were 987 singular VPC's and one couplet.

I have an appointment with my regular vet tomorrow. They want a CBC/Chem profile to screen for metabolic problems. His thyroid is normal. He is to be put on Sotolol 80 mg tabs (1/2 tab twice daily a.m. and p.m. for 1 weeks and then increase to a full tab twice daily with a follow up holter 1 month after beginning the medications. Will disucss with my vet recommendations for a cardiologist close to our area (Lehigh Valley, PA). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trying to stop crying. DH is in denial and saying maybe we should not have done the tests but I know I did the right thing.

Will write more later.

See less See more
#396 ·
My sons oldest Dobie (Foxfire's Butcher) was diagnosed with the same thing.
He was 6 yo at the time. He almost died during his initial episode, His canine cardiologist (using a Holter monitor, as you have), would not project his longevity.
He initially said "could be a week or a year" but later backed off on that.

With modest medication (beta blockers,calcium blockers, etc.), slightly reduced exercise and a good diet he lived another 3 years. He never seemed ill.

He finally passed this year. He had just finished a walk with his "roommates".
He had a massive cardiac episode. He died peacefully.

My thoughts are with you and your pup.

John L.
Portland OR

#398 ·
Holter Results

Unfortunately, Baron's holter results also show this hateful disease is progressing. Below are the numbers. We will be startng with Mexiletine and Pimobendan as soon as I get the prescriptions along with continuing the Sotalol, fish oil, CoQ10. Going to check with Dr. G. if he feels any other supplements will help. Very interesting that all the couplets and runs came when he was either sleeping or in a resting state. He did have singles when he was walking and running. One good thing all his blood work was normal. We will now have to do 6 month checkups. Was doing 9-10 months but that will not do anymore. Just hoping and praying the new meds work as well as the Sotalol did for the last 4 years.

#400 ·
Oh, Lois. Not what any of us were hoping for. Really praying the meds will give you a lot more time with Baron.

Reactions: dax0402
#403 ·
Just wanted to update: Baron has been on the Mexiletine and Pimobendan for a week now and no changes in diet or appetite. So very happy about this because this guy really enjoys his food and eating and I would hate for him to lose this! Thanks again for all thoughts and prayers.

#405 · (Edited)
Baron Update

Baron had his cardiologist checkup today with Dr. Goodwin. He has been on the Pimobendan and Mexiletine for 7 months now in addition to the continuing other meds. I am extremely happy to report that his echo numbers have improved. FS% was 22% in April and is now 37% and his LVCH (mm) was 51.4 in April and is now 43.5. Dr. G. was very happy with these numbers and at least the meds are doing their job. Now we get through the 24 hour holter and wait for those results. On other notation: Dr. Goodwin recommended switching from his regular fish oil to VRS Omega Benefits Fish Oil, 1-855-876-7387 or www.vrshealth.com. So will have to call tomorrow to order. He feels research has shown that this brand has a better absorbtion rate. Anything to help my boy.

#407 ·
Great news, Lois! :)

#411 ·
Sending good thoughts for a good Holter.

Our boy Stryker was diagnosed with DCM (by Holter and Echo) at the beginning of this past July. He still has no other symptoms at this time. Is on 4 Meds and a supplemental regiment.

If you would like to get some great info on supplements contact Rusty Improta. He is a Nutritional Consultant and has been wroking with dogs with DCM since 1985.

He is on healthdobes, Facebook.
Email rusvit2000@yahoo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.