Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Ever want to see puppies being born?

3K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  GingerGunlock 
#1 ·
#2 ·
One puppy out.

You can also find the link on "Dog Bless You" facebook page.

#8 ·
Awwe! Another girl. I'm not sure how many are expected, but there was about an hour between the first and second puppy. And yes, I can still see the feed...they are showing a closeup of the puppies nursing now. :D

#10 · (Edited)
I know absolutely nothing about breeding and have never seen a litter being born so I have a question- are all of those people in the room with her stressing her out? Should you be petting a dog that is in labor?

I also never realized that dogs were bred specifically for service dog projects.

"Meet the Great Dane puppies being raised at the Service Dog Project. Located in Ipswich, Massachusetts, the Service Dog Project rests on a 12-acre property with heated kennels, fields, and a large arena. These areas provide the necessary space to raise the dogs from birth to graduation, and even back for retirement if needed.

Service puppies Perry, Lola, Ebony, Mia, Willow, and Roxanne will eventually be placed with people who have Multiple Sclerosis, individuals with Friedreich’s ataxia, and veterans with disabilities. Each dog receives extensive training for balance, and once a dog is paired with an applicant, the dog is uniquely trained to suit the recipient’s needs."

#13 ·
I also never realized that dogs were bred specifically for service dog projects.
Southeastern Guide dogs breeds their dogs to raise them for their service dogs. They are the only group I'm somewhat familiar with though, I only know that because the other half and the rest of the crew volunteered there and they got to see all different ages of puppies and what not and help out.

On another note, apparently she's on a potty break now... at least that's what the note said.

#11 ·
They're a Service Dog group, looks like. The tag on the video says Great Dane Service dog puppies.

"Meet the Great Dane puppies being raised at the Service Dog Project. Located in Ipswich, Massachusetts, the Service Dog Project rests on a 12-acre property with heated kennels, fields, and a large arena. "

#12 ·
depends on the dog whether they like people to be there or not. I would guess that all of those people are stressing her out, but i can tell you that if i or my mom left the room when Moggy was having kittens, she would get up and follow us- frantically, and at one point, she got herself stuck in the baby gate, i had to bend the bar to get her out and we had to sit with her for 3 hours while she had her babies.
I always fell horrible for putting dogs through labour.

#18 ·
I was thinking the same thing. :( She looks tired...I can't even imagine some dogs doing this into the double digits.

I know it can take a while, but do they usually get closer together at all? Or will they keep coming about an hour apart I wonder?

#17 ·
And puppy 3 is a boy!!

Like I said I know nothing about whelping litters, but it seems like they are doing a lot of helping too. I wonder if that is necessary? Maybe someone who has experience will chime in about these questions.

#20 ·
Nope, no sound. But the people hold up signs once in a while to let you know whats going on, like "boy" or "girl" after a puppy is born or "potty break", etc.

#22 ·
It seemed the boy took a long time, he was a monster, and I am totally in love with him. I have only been at three birthings, and it does help to have extra hands for weighing, cleaning, moving the pups out of the way when she starts delivery, etc.

A first time brood bitch can get scared, and it actually does help to have her familiar people there to calm her. I don't think those are strangers to her.

Sometimes you'll get most of them over, and there will be a late arrival. :)

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the answers!! I think I read that this is her second litter, but I agree that she seems to be comfortable with the people. I was just curious if it was good for them to help or let her do it on her own. I did see a few times they had to move puppies or I was afraid she was going to roll over and smush or suffocate one. :/

ETA: and omygosh I love him toooooo!!!

#24 · (Edited)
Every circumstance is different but with my boss she prefers a max of two people in the room unless necessary, and only helps the dogs as necessary. More experienced people can correct me, i've only assisted in two whelpings, but a shorter length between puppies and less help to get them out is preferred as it points to the dog having an easier and more productive labor. The latest litter had a monster 14 oz boy followed by all 12.5-13 oz girls...her average is 11-12, the boy took quite some time and a lot of assistance so she was deff happy not to be alone for that.

Again more than happily corrected by the wiser folks but many service dogs are from a select breeding programs or donated by breeders. Having a breeding program like these people do is much like conformation and performance breeders, you have a program with a specific goal and breed and train from start to finish that you can be in full control of (relatively speaking) :)

I can't see the video :( says bad gateway

Reactions: SpecialK
#25 · (Edited)
Before everyone gets really excited about puppies, this breeder is nothing to write home about. We've been discussing her on the Dane forum so a member emailed her to ask questions about health testing etc. This is a summary of her response (the breeder is the "she" being referred to):

"Just to expand on this now that I'm off a phone and on a computer - more detailed summary of the email.

They did OFA, then Pennhip for hips, but it was ''very expensive'' and the vet said it would be okay to just look at Xrays. They say if they can clear 6 foot fences regularly spending money on xrays is unnecessary, so I gather they don't do that at all anymore. She says she doesn't want to tempt fate but they haven't had a pup with bad hips. She says she watches them and any variation in their walk she makes them pets (nothing about not breeding the parents again though, I guess its pretty hard to stop breeding the parents when you don't even know who they are...)

She says its been a year since she last sold a puppy (I don't know why she started talking about this, I didn't ask about her selling puppies) but she sold a puppy to someone offering a 5000 dollar donation.

I asked about deaf danes and harl x harl breeding, she said she does harl x merle and harl x harl and hasn't had a deaf dane in 12 years, she said the last one she had was used in movies...(???) It's hard to be completely clear what she's saying as its all in caps with not much punctuation.

I asked how they choose which male and female would complement eachother best, she said those that aren't related to eachother and she likes coloured pups so she can tell them apart...thinkabc she said her best stud conformation wise is Yellow and she aims for a short neck and a front leg half the height, and goes on to say because of this show breeders call her a ''piece of junk''. This last sentence really confuses me - she said she gets no sympathy as she once bought ''100 blue ribbons 15 cents each'' and avoids the show concept period. Umm does that mean she is falsely giving her dogs award?!" Source is the Danesonline Forum

The thing that gets me is that this breeder has knowingly and willingly bred harl to harl and harl to Merle. At some point, she has produced puppies with sensory defects.

#29 ·
Thanks Rotten for giving some info/background on the breeder. I would like it to be known that I in no way endorse or support this breeder, simply saw the link posted on another rescuer's page and wanted to pass it on because I have never seen puppies delivered and thought others might like to see it too.

As for someone saying the link didn't work, I think it might just be getting high traffic. It was starting to freeze for me a couple times and then went unavailable completely for a short bit. Seems to be working again though.

Reactions: Sam1491
#31 · (Edited)
When some of the information started surfacing, I was really disappointed. I think if she was health testing and not breeding merles, etc., this would be really cool. I do think that this program does speak volumes about the temperament of the dogs she is producing though and that is encouraging.

ETA: I can't believe how long it takes between puppies. I'm too impatient for this!

#30 ·
Oh, I didn't realize it was a questionable breeder. I'm still going to watch because this will probably be the only time I will see pups being born. Still interesting to watch though.

I have to have something to do while I sit and wait for the recovery on my SD card (lesson learned always take them off the card when done taking photos).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.