Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Is this a reputable breeder’s site? Red flags to watch out for on a website!

20K views 54 replies 39 participants last post by  sodim 
#1 · (Edited)
So you have a list of websites and you’re trying to make your decision on a puppy?
Or maybe you just want to know if the site you are looking at is reputable.
There are many things you need to consider besides the prettiest site with flashy pictures.
The information can be overwhelming but your time and willingness to learn at this stage will make you a VERY happy Dobe owner in the years to come.

A reputable breeder’s website will inform you about the breeder, their breeding program and their dogs. A reputable breeder is one who is in it to improve the breed (proper testing and thought before breeding). A Backyard Breeder (BYB) is one who is in it for the money. More info on the subject can be found by doing a simple search on here. There are plenty of reputable breeders with websites but unfortunately there are a lot more that just want your money.

What are red flags?

Indicators that should raise your ears and if there are multiples you may want to re-consider on the breeder. So many people are becoming tech savvy and it can be so difficult to spot a bad site versus a legitimate breeder. Only a year ago I can recall myself thinking a site was perfectly fine and if I look at it now, it turns me off.

The following highlights some of the flags and bad practices that you will see on a breeder’s website. Look out for the flags the next time you browse a website:
• Multiple breeds being bred.
-Is the same breeder also breeding Great Danes, West Highland Terriers and a bunch of other breeds? I leave you with one question, how much time does this person have? Must be a superhuman!
• No mention of Health or Health Results are absent
-A reputable breeder will indicate the health results of their dogs!!! If you do not see anything on the health- this should be alarming. At the very least you should see something on vWd, Hip Dysplasia (OFA), cardio or eyes. More info can be found here: DPCA | The Doberman | Health Canine Health Information Center: Hip/Elbow Labs

• Oversized dogs?
-You better run if you see anything thats overly larger than the standard.
-Standard http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/1971-akc-fci-doberman-standard.html
-

-

• White Dobermans!
-Run and don’t look back. Read up on Z-Factored dobes here: The Albino
• Pay by Paypal
-This one just pisses me off. I am not buying a f**** product- it’s a living animal. I may be biased but to me this shows someone who is a bit too eager for $.
• A flashy and random site with family pictures!
-This screams BYB- but check to see if they have other flags. Are there numerous pics of children with puppies? Are the puppies wearing jewelry? Why on earth would a reputable breeder try to peddle their pups by putting them in ridiculous outfits at such a young age. Don’t go for the overly cutesy site.
• Too many Dobermans- Does the breeder have a ridiculous amount of dogs (15-20+)?
-You will have to determine this and consider or ask how the breeder keeps up with the dogs. Are they just left in kennels outside? Its possible to have a lot of dogs but you may want to see their living conditions.
• Price variance between males and females.
-Often BYBs will sell females at a higher price- so others can begin their pathetic backyard breeding programs.
• Are there more than 2-3 litters a year? Call and ask why so many litters or how they keep up with their puppies and buyers.
• Mentions “champion breeding” over and over!
- A reputable breeder will have a page dedicated to a dogs wins and will not breed the same dog 10x a year. Some folks are just riding off of other’s successes. Ask them if they show or compete with their dogs? Do they have titled dogs and look at the offspring of these “champions.”
• Lets the pups go before the age of 8 weeks? Pups need to be with their momma and siblings until 8 weeks (PERIOD).
• Ears are not cropped, tails not docked or dew claws not removed? If you are looking at someone in the US, this should be done. You should call on this one.
• Sells puppies at full registration
-Puppies that are not going to show homes, should be sold on Limited AKC registration. You search the topic and difference between the two on here.
• Breeds young dogs or bitches!! You should avoid this- most believe that 2 is a good age to begin. You can search for more info about this on here by doing a search.
• Breeder’s site contains links to the generic puppy sites.
-Typically you want to question listings that you see on sites that cater to generic classifieds.
• Is the price ridiculously high or low.
-A pet quality dobe can range from $1700-2700. On this one you should definitely check with the breeder directly.
-Prices are higher and anyone that is selling for considerably lower is definitely not health testing. Health testing costs money and keep in mind that a reputable breeder also socializes your pup! Before you think that $1700 is too high, consider what the breeder has gone through to ensure a healthy life for your pup.

Be smart and patient when you are considering adding a puppy to your family. Many on DT have shared painful and tragic stories of dobes that were either unhealthy or bought from BYBs. Breeding is more than just mating two random dogs. Before coming to DT, I thought I would have a pup within a few weeks. After an entire year of researching, I will finally get my pup. The above has significantly helped me in my search and I’m confident it will do the same for you. Take what I have listed above as a guide from what I learned from DT- you should still do as much research as you can. Don’t expect to learn everything in a few days- a sense of curiosity about the breed and time will take you a long way.

Before you buy, also consider the following:Buying A Doberman Pinscher
Why Pedigrees matter?http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/34872-pedigree-research.html
Breeder Referral: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/14184-recommended-breeders.html

*I feel strongly about some of the topics above and can go on forever but I've gotta run and sleep. My concerns only grew when I visited a few shelters and helped out at a rescue event recently. I was going to wait until the weekend but I'll be away and hopefully dirt biking after work! I'm sure the experienced folks on here can add to the list or correct me on anything in the list above.

See less See more
#39 ·
Red flags!!

Hi All,
I've been trying to get my head around a few things i saw on a site advertising dobie pups... after just glancing at your first post about red flags, this one hits pretty much ALL of them!! I find it pretty horrifying that these dogs are bred from in such a way!
I've heard great things about the people on this site and how pro-active you all are when it comes to the benefit of this beautiful breed of dog, and was wondering what, if anything, can be done to discourage BYBs like this from breeding their poor dogs?!?
I've included the website below for you to have a look at and let me know waht you think to this person claiming to be a reputable and caring breeder!

Tajami Dobermans - Home

#45 ·
I got nervous reading this thread...there was certainly some risk in getting a rescue Dobie, as much of his past is a mystery. I'm looking to rescue a female now that my boy is settled in. I hope I'm not in for any bad surprises as he ages, but I love him so much I'll do whatever it takes to keep him healthy. He's certainly made me a healthier and happier person! Fingers crossed for a healthy girl to come our way!

#46 ·
It might be a backyard breeder site, if...

...there are more photos featuring fast boats & cars with bling wheels than, you know, dogs.
...the site has more distracting animated .gifs than a 90s-vintage Geocities homepage.
...most of the site content is copy-pasted from stock breed descriptions on AKC, Wikipedia, or stickies from popular breed forums.

#47 ·
Sorry, I know this is my first post, and as such, I will probably be 'looked down upon' or whatever, as I am not completely sure how this forum community works, but I have seen plenty of White Dobermans lead long and healthy lives from a breeder who works with them and carefully ensures the highest quality in the puppies.

Now, with that said, I am unsure how the vast majority of white dobe breeders work, but I think it is unfair to throw the entire color under the bus because of your own personal preference. If you have researched the issues and are still prepared to own a White Doberman, you should not be pushed away from it because some find it "wrong" to own one.

This is just my opinion, and I'm sorry if I've started out on the wrong foot here, but you will come to learn I can be outspoken when I feel strongly on an issue. Other than this, I look forward to having future discussion! While I can be stubborn, I am an English teacher that loves multiple points of view!

#51 ·
If you use the search function you will be able to find numerous threads on the topic of albino Dobermans over the last few years - some are brilliant and very informative as we have some fabulous members here from vets, to geneticists to long-time breeders. The search function can be a pain to use, I recommend bypassing the search box altogether and doing an "advanced search" or searching use google and the phrase "Dobermantalk" to narrow down what you're looking for.

If you've read the manifesto, or whatever it is called now, you will understand that this forum only supports the purchase of dogs from reputable, ethical breeders that are fully health testing their dogs for the many health issues common in this breed, ensuring puppies are going to screened homes on the appropriate (usually non-breeding) contracts, providing support for puppy buyers, testing their breeding stock in breed appropriate sports or through conformation showing among a whole host of other things. Breeding for a not allowed colour is not the mark of a reputable breeder, for a number of reasons, that I'm sure you'll see when you have a search of the forum. It pays to remember that this is first and foremost a working, protection breed... Not a fashion statement. This breed needs to be capable of doing a job, and breeding for something as pointless as lack of pigment at the expense of health and temperament is not reputable, and it is doing a huge disservice to the breed.

Having said that, this forum is also a huge supporter of dog rescue, and you will find quite a few other albino doberman owners here. So, welcome to the forum, from NZ! :)

#53 ·
There's problems with ball pythons, caused by the same reasons that albino Dobes have so many issues... because people are inbreeding to fix certain colors. Snakes that are born with neurological problems and tremors, kinks and skeletal problems. Some of them are so unhealthy they have to be euthanized, all in pursuit of that color. The spider color mutation is notorious for having neuro issues. It's bad enough that if you google "spider ball python head wobble" you'll come up with a ton of results.

It's just like the problems seen in albino Dobermans. Hey, we found a cool color, this one female (Sheba, I think her name was) was born albino. So let's disregard temperament and health in order to breed just for that color. Albinism in Dobermans was fixed by inbreeding. Albinos all trace back to a single dog.

Albino is a genetic color mutation that carries known health problems. I don't support albino breeders for the same reason I don't support the English bulldog breeders who are fixing such narrow, brachycephalic traits that the dogs can't breathe properly, have no stamina, and don't usually live past 6. For albino Dobes, those include photosensitivity and several other vision disorders, increased risk of skin cancer, temperament problems, neurological problems, and a shorter lifespan.

I'd rescue an albino, if he/she was the right dog for my household. I'd have to be prepared for the increased medical costs and making sure the dog had proper care in the sun, etc. But I would never buy one. Dobes have enough health problems without continuing to breed for an unhealthy genetic color mutation.

#54 ·
This isn't an arbitrary issue or "outspoken" opinions. There is right and there is wrong here. They are not white, they are albino. Reputable breeders do so for betterment of the breed and therefore do not breed Z factored Dobermans. If someone is looking for an albino, it is a great opportunity to rescue from a reputable rescue or shelter. Albino's are not an acceptable color. It is a genetic mutation.

#55 ·
So you have a list of websites and you’re trying to make your decision on a puppy?
Or maybe you just want to know if the site you are looking at is reputable.
There are many things you need to consider besides the prettiest site with flashy pictures.
The information can be overwhelming but your time and willingness to learn at this stage will make you a VERY happy Dobe owner in the years to come.

A reputable breeder’s website will inform you about the breeder, their breeding program and their dogs. A reputable breeder is one who is in it to improve the breed (proper testing and thought before breeding). A Backyard Breeder (BYB) is one who is in it for the money. More info on the subject can be found by doing a simple search on here. There are plenty of reputable breeders with websites but unfortunately there are a lot more that just want your money.

What are red flags?

Indicators that should raise your ears and if there are multiples you may want to re-consider on the breeder. So many people are becoming tech savvy and it can be so difficult to spot a bad site versus a legitimate breeder. Only a year ago I can recall myself thinking a site was perfectly fine and if I look at it now, it turns me off.

The following highlights some of the flags and bad practices that you will see on a breeder’s website. Look out for the flags the next time you browse a website:
•Multiple breeds being bred.
-Is the same breeder also breeding Great Danes, West Highland Terriers and a bunch of other breeds? I leave you with one question, how much time does this person have? Must be a superhuman!
•No mention of Health or Health Results are absent
-A reputable breeder will indicate the health results of their dogs!!! If you do not see anything on the health- this should be alarming. At the very least you should see something on vWd, Hip Dysplasia (OFA), cardio or eyes. More info can be found here: DPCA | The Doberman | Health Canine Health Information Center: Hip/Elbow Labs

•Oversized dogs?
-You better run if you see anything thats overly larger than the standard.
-Standard http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/1971-akc-fci-doberman-standard.html
-

-

•White Dobermans!
-Run and don’t look back. Read up on Z-Factored dobes here: The Albino
•Pay by Paypal
-This one just pisses me off. I am not buying a f**** product- it’s a living animal. I may be biased but to me this shows someone who is a bit too eager for $.
•A flashy and random site with family pictures!
-This screams BYB- but check to see if they have other flags. Are there numerous pics of children with puppies? Are the puppies wearing jewelry? Why on earth would a reputable breeder try to peddle their pups by putting them in ridiculous outfits at such a young age. Don’t go for the overly cutesy site.
•Too many Dobermans- Does the breeder have a ridiculous amount of dogs (15-20+)?
-You will have to determine this and consider or ask how the breeder keeps up with the dogs. Are they just left in kennels outside? Its possible to have a lot of dogs but you may want to see their living conditions.
•Price variance between males and females.
-Often BYBs will sell females at a higher price- so others can begin their pathetic backyard breeding programs.
•Are there more than 2-3 litters a year? Call and ask why so many litters or how they keep up with their puppies and buyers.
•Mentions “champion breeding” over and over!
- A reputable breeder will have a page dedicated to a dogs wins and will not breed the same dog 10x a year. Some folks are just riding off of other’s successes. Ask them if they show or compete with their dogs? Do they have titled dogs and look at the offspring of these “champions.”
•Lets the pups go before the age of 8 weeks? Pups need to be with their momma and siblings until 8 weeks (PERIOD).
•Ears are not cropped, tails not docked or dew claws not removed? If you are looking at someone in the US, this should be done. You should call on this one.
•Sells puppies at full registration
-Puppies that are not going to show homes, should be sold on Limited AKC registration. You search the topic and difference between the two on here.
•Breeds young dogs or bitches!! You should avoid this- most believe that 2 is a good age to begin. You can search for more info about this on here by doing a search.
•Breeder’s site contains links to the generic puppy sites.
-Typically you want to question listings that you see on sites that cater to generic classifieds.
•Is the price ridiculously high or low.
-A pet quality dobe can range from $1700-2700. On this one you should definitely check with the breeder directly.
-Prices are higher and anyone that is selling for considerably lower is definitely not health testing. Health testing costs money and keep in mind that a reputable breeder also socializes your pup! Before you think that $1700 is too high, consider what the breeder has gone through to ensure a healthy life for your pup.

Be smart and patient when you are considering adding a puppy to your family. Many on DT have shared painful and tragic stories of dobes that were either unhealthy or bought from BYBs. Breeding is more than just mating two random dogs. Before coming to DT, I thought I would have a pup within a few weeks. After an entire year of researching, I will finally get my pup. The above has significantly helped me in my search and I’m confident it will do the same for you. Take what I have listed above as a guide from what I learned from DT- you should still do as much research as you can. Don’t expect to learn everything in a few days- a sense of curiosity about the breed and time will take you a long way.

Before you buy, also consider the following:Buying A Doberman Pinscher
Why Pedigrees matter?http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/34872-pedigree-research.html
Breeder Referral: http://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/14184-recommended-breeders.html

*I feel strongly about some of the topics above and can go on forever but I've gotta run and sleep. My concerns only grew when I visited a few shelters and helped out at a rescue event recently. I was going to wait until the weekend but I'll be away and hopefully dirt biking after work! I'm sure the experienced folks on here can add to the list or correct me on anything in the list above.

L

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.