Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Obediah, the "Catawhata?"

2K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  RedFawnRising 
#1 ·
They call me Obediah, and I'm about six months old, and a (probably) Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, although the nice but clueless shelter staff had me listed as a Great Dane/Dalmation cross.

Fair warning, all the pictures of me will make you want to adjust your TV set--the human has a crummy camera and no photog skilz.

This is me, playing camo-dog, blending into the fall leaves. (Look closely and you will see my ninja-sister Whisper hiding in the blurry background, too.)

NEVER let this human take conformation pics of me, please. I look like a midget with pretzel legs here.

Huh? Whadat sound?

Sister, you look out for the right side boogeyman, I will guard the left.

With Whip, on an old outdoor theatre stage--they both jumped right up like it was an agility obstacle.

Saw Whisper do this, so thought I'd give it a try--hey, this is kinda fun, being tall.

Do you all see way too many spots before your eyes?

See less See more
#8 ·
He says thanks.

His adorableness is the only reason he survived Hurricane Sandy.

Because I was seriously contemplating killing him.

Unexercised puppy=havoc and mayhem.

#6 ·
He is awesome! Foster?

Don't cha just love the mixes they come up with for some of these dogs? :lol2:

Reactions: RedFawnRising
#7 ·
Serafina, Sydney is cute! She has a lot longer coat, and different type, than Obediah.

Obediah has one eye that is half-blue, but I couldn't get his energizer bunny azz to hold still for a shot of that.

Is Sydney very high energy?

I've fostered a couple Catahoulas over the years, one I liked, the other...not so much. He was just kind of a weird dog although he got a great adopter and they adore him, just not my cup of tea.

Rotten--ya had to ask, huh? He's had a rough time, last foster home (who will never be allowed to foster for that shelter again) really did a number on him. Still working on some of the issues.

My track record for foster failures over the past few years is abysmal, I'll admit. I used to be able to do this, I swear.

#11 ·
Yes Sidneys energy is up there but its not to bad. His sister takes her on daily runs, camping and backpacking. She is a great dog, good on leash, adores every human she meets and even gets along with the family's pet goose. (yes... a goose) Only problem we have come across with her is she will bolt when she gets the urge. Which is not good but she always escapes to the creek in the back yard and returns shortly later covered in mud.

#16 ·
Oh, he's so CUTE!!!!

We just had a Catahoula Leopard Dog pup in my last puppy class. Her name was Tilly and she was a happy girl who never stopped moving. LOL But she was very sweet and smart.

I agree that you must keep him. He does match and it looks like all the 4-legged family members have already taken him in as their own. :)

#21 ·
You are delusional if you think he's not yours already.

#22 ·
More Obediah.

Trot.

Trot.

Zoooooooom!

Follow the leader, wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Mid-zoomie sudden halt, for sniffs. I love how you can see both his red merle and his blue merle, in this one.

Director, I am ready for my close ups, thank you.

Lastly, ahem. Um. Yeah, no matter what rumors you may hear about today at the ballpark, that 16 pound terrier girl did not, I say did NOT, beat up my 61 pound puppy self. Nope. Never happened. And she also did not put me down on the ground and make me say, "All my liver brownies are belong to you, Ma'am."

#25 ·
You sure there isnt a little dane in there?
Either way he is absolutely adorable! The first time I had ever heard of a catahoula was at the rodeo. One of the people had a catahoula mix and i never forgot the name because it was so odd. This was before internet so looking things up wasnt an option.
There is a very active catahoula rescue in Ontario, pretty much, they get contacted about anything that is merled(is that a term?) I wouldn't call them common up here, but i know they get a lot from US shelters.

#26 ·
Anything's possible. Might have him DNA'd just for giggles, at some point.

I've fostered a lot of Danes over the years, though, and he doesn't act like a Dane at all, plus he's a shorty kinda fella. I keep waiting for him to grow legs.

He bays, he loves water, he dances across logs and is already trying to climb trees--he sure fits the Catahoula heritage and it's a fun thing to call him, but like 99% of the rescues thru my doors, I really don't have much, if any, solid information on him, so who can know?

Around here, anything merle usually gets called an Aussie mix. Second guess is usually Dalmation, which is what he got slapped with.

Then again, we have a local shelter (where George and Whip came from) that regularly "finds" Caucasian Ovcharkas, and Welsh Springer Spaniels and PBGVs, hehehe. Because we know how commonly breeds like that end up stray. :lol2:

#34 ·
You people! I'm astounded at this! Do not listen to them RFR. You know better. You know you need the space to keep fostering, so you will not be keeping him.

Send him to me IMMEDIATELY!

In all seriousness catahoulas are the only hound breed I would ever own. ...oh wait, you said he bays? Damnit.

At least send him over here for a photoshoot.

#35 ·
1. I was already way ready for a break from fostering for a while, anyway.

2. By the time I'm all rested up from the break, plus raising this pup, I plan on my ship having come in, and will have a new fenced 1000 acre estate, complete with state-of-the-art dog facility, agility building, and bone-shaped swimming pool.

3. His bay is mixed with bark, and comes just at the end note of it, only when he's really wound up, plus it has a really good off switch, so I have forgiven him this small thing.

4. I would love to have you do a photoshoot of him! The very next time he is acting like a puppy, I'll send him on over, for a few days at least. A photoshoot will take that long, minimum, right?

Reactions: GingerGunlock
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.