Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Calling all harnesses!

6K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Amelia_ 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a leather harness for protection work. I really like a couple of the Dean Tyler harnesses, but they are a bit 'pricey' and I'm sure that's not the only company out there making good working harnesses. I for some reason can't find much though.

Can anyone recommend some good agitation harnesses? And of course post any pictures of your dobes wearing them! :p

#2 ·
Padded Leather Harness

I love the one I got from activedogs, much less than most other places and awesome, amazing, great quality...can ya tell I love it? I love activedogs stuff in general, they have a store front up north 6 hours from me, and all the things I've bought have lasted really well!

I really prefer that the buckles aren't on the chest as well, it's just a security thing I have. So that's one reason I really went for it, the sheepskin hasn't padded down at all yet with some minimal use. Mabel got a large and she's on the third hole on each side :)

I think juno has the same one, not sure if it's from the same people, and nox got the same one in black from activedogs :)

#3 ·
Has yours gotten any less stiff or have you tried oiling it? It seems in pictures with yours and Juno's that the leather looks very stiff. I'd assume it'd be able to be worked with oil and time, but there were always some halters and leather works in the horse world that no matter what never loosened up.

Also what size do you have and how wide is mabel's girth? The bitch is almost exactly juno's size, so I assume whatever she got would work.

#4 ·
Mine is from Fullgripgear | Harnesses & Capes

It showed up soft and pliable, but still very sturdy. They fit Dobes VERY well, which for me has been hard to find because so many harnesses aren't designed to work with the shape of the Doberman chest.

#7 ·
I really like that one. Beautiful dog by the way. And I too am worried about it fitting the dobermans. That's why I'm considering the dean tyler's more 'custom' fit. I'm currently working my boy in an old style agitation harness that was built for a rottweiler. Needless to say the straps are all on the lowest settings and still not quite right. Is the first harness on that link the one you use?

#5 · (Edited)
Mabel measured at 30/31 so i got a large and she is in the third/middle hole on each size.

It's stiff but from putting it on and messing with it I wouldn't worry about it staying that way, (she hasn't worn it much) but I can see it softening a decent amount fairly quickly with good work and some oiling (maybe 1-2 grades above the average latigo collar which is softer). I wouldn't say it's super stiff to start with though, kind of a medium grade of all the leather I've worked with. The straps are mildly stiff but basically come at a good softness, it's moreso right by the chest that needs a bit of breaking in, mabels had hers on about 5 times for short periods and has "molded" hers to her shape much nicer now than how it sits in the pictures (the day we got it)

p.s. i've seen the exact same harness on a few other sites including an amish one for 2-3 times as much so if you pick it activedogs is the cheapest by far! and has some pretty fast shipping :)

Reactions: Asmit
#6 ·
#13 ·
It's not necessarily an "issue" but if I can get a decent leather one for under $120, I'd rather do that than spend more. I assumed that logic made sense lol

I'm not going to save money and signifcantly compromise quality though. I always bought nice horse tack in the first place and never had to worry about replacing any of it or repairs for years so I understand the quality thing. But even then I always found 'deals' I think $100 is a decent budget for a harness

#17 ·
I really like that quick - release one that Ray Allen has although I prefer the neoprene padding on the other. if anyone ever insists that the nylon one I already have isn't good enough, I'd go with Ray Allen. In the meantime, that money goes to agility expenses.:)

#22 ·
Well I received the harness today! I ended up contacting the manufacturer of the harnesses that Ray Allen sells and gave them the dog's exact measurements to get a custom fit. My decoy also talked my out of the snaps, and after thinking about it, I do prefer the flat look much better.

Just wanted to add to anyone who reads this thread, that the leather quality is amazing! It arrived so soft and supple, and is a very good quality for the price. Will be putting it on the dogs tomorrow, might snap a picture!

#23 ·
Man, I wish I could afford a custom harness for Ilka. So far, I like the one I got her (she got to wear it today), but I've got it adjusted about as small as it can go. If they'd had a smaller size, I would have gotten that. As it was, it's the smallest one I could find. She's such a Skinny Minnie. :D

#28 ·
The harness was actually a gift someone. We typically use a harness or agitation collar while the dogs are young, then just the pinch. One of the Dogs I'm working now needs to be worked in more prey prey prey as they were pushed into defense far too early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.