Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

6 week old puppy in dire straits...please help!

17K views 133 replies 37 participants last post by  triciabri 
#1 ·
I ran into the people who have Odin's daddy and they told me they had a Briarwood/Kay Hill lines bitch about to whelp so after they were born I went to visit.
[I like to keep tabs on my boy's dad]

The pups were in heated/cooled outbuilding but had no whelping box or other bedding.
It was chilly when I got there and they both work long hours so they 'set the temps' for the dogs and leave for the day and hadn't turned on the heat yet.

There were two boys and two girls, one of which was a runt but viable.

I picked up the bigger girl and noticed she was shaking oddly as were some of the other pups but not to as great a degree.
I assumed the inability to thermoregulate and/or cold and stress of the mom being out of the building was responsible.

I put her down and she mostly just sat there until she tried to eat the crappy dry 'confetti' food put out for them.

The dam came back in and the shaky girl went for the back teat with gusto and I helped the runt find an empty faucet as she wasn't managing well against her much bigger siblings.

At that time, the pups were chubby but I took over 50 pounds of very good dog food for them [which they still didn't moisten] and 3 dog houses.

Flash forward to yesterday when I got a frantic call that the bigger girl was still shaking, possibly 'seizing' and so forth.
The pups had been wormed with Nemex? the day before.

I had to wait until they got home from work and went over.
The girl was in their bathroom in the tub with some milk [from which she had supposedly drank greedily that morning] flat out and listless.

I took her out to the living room and out her down and she walked around a bit but seemed weak.

The next thing I know, she and her papers are being shoved to me so that I can 'take her home and fix her up'.

We hadn't gone 10 miles before I knew we had to get to an e-vet NOW.
35 minutes later, we were there and they ran a CBC on her.

She was anemic, dehydrated, low blood protein and some other less horrific things I can't recall right now [sleep deprived] but her breathing/temps/heart rate were good.

So they gave her a huge SubQ and as we were about to leave, I asked if they'd done a fecal.

So they did one and found she still had a 'substantial roundworm infestation'.

They wormed her again with Drontal. [I think was the name]

We left.

Halfway home she got restless, started yelping, pushing her front legs straight and arching her head back.
I thought she had to pee and stopped to let her piddle in a parking lot.
She didn't there but did pee in my lap once back in the car a few minutes later.

She was now doing a "Stevie Wonder" imitation where her head was moving around oddly and she didn't seem to be able to hold her head up.

We turned around an went back to the evet.

By the time we got there [30 minutes] she was limp and somewhat unresponsive.

Her front legs were in a locked and extended position which did get a little 'better' after an hour at the vet, alternating from flexible to 'locked forward' again.
They her took back to the exam room again and then came out and told me she was not reacting to fingers flicking near eyes...she was "blind".

The 'breeder' says she walked right to her that morning and I can't say myself if she seemed to be able to see during the brief span of time I's had her on the floor of their house.

The evet postulated neurological issues, seizures, possible issues from worms/dehydration, etc and kept her over night in an 'incubator'.

I called this morning and she did eat greedily but threw it back up, probably from not eating then pigging out.
She is, in the vet's word's "more normal" today but she is still "blind".

I had her tested for TBDs and she is negative.

And I noticed she has a calcified lump on her right elbow that appears to be a healed bone break, possibly acquired during birth, according to the vet.

I have never seen or heard of anything like all of this.

*Any* help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since she is, apparently, now "my dog".
[and racking up the vet bills at an incredible rate]

Has anyone ever encountered something like this, that I might have any suggestions for the vets to check for?

Although this was a wholly unexpected and shocking turn of events in my relatively calm life, of course, now that I've spent time holding her and trying to save her, sadly, I love her and am emotionally invested.

And I've named her...so I'm truly doomed.

Please offer anything you've got...except, please, condemnation for getting involved, riot acts for 'taking home strays' or yelling at me for answering the phone.
I've already flogged myself quite thoroughly.

[note to self: turn the caller ID back on]

If it helps at all, this is a photo of her about at [around] 3 weeks or so when her eyes had just opened and again, about 10 days ago:

See less See more
#34 ·
Dont get me wrong, I am glad you are helping this pup, but I learned a long time ago not to take on other people's problems. The ones that create the problem should have to deal with it, not put it off on someone else so they dont have to face what they have done. It is hard to give someone a puppy if they dont have their hands out to receive it. No pups like this are really free!!! I am just saying this for educational purposes for others as you already know it from experience now. I hope she grows up strong and healthy. She probably fell over trying to get out of the tub and whacked her head, those idiot byb are typically stupid! In the meantime, I would find out where that female came from and tell her breeder what is happening to her and her pups. Does your pup have AKC papers or are they another registry? Do you have a animal control you could report them to? Good luck with her. I would just take a wait and see on her. What actual benefit would an MRI do anyway in reference to treatment?

#45 ·
She was only in the tub the day I got her.

Judging by that photo I posted, whatever happened to her happened mush earlier, probably around 2-3 weeks old.

I have sent the AKC info that I have to some people here.

I don't know who they got the dam from but I do know where the sire is.

Hopefully those with connections to the DPCA and Briarwood kennels can find out the rest.

I can't access databases like they can.

No need to lecture me on 'free dogs'.

For over 30 years, I've been involved in Dobe and Ibizan Hound rescue [and many incidental 'just mutts'] and have, up until now, been able to out-of-pocket everything myself.

This is the first neurological issue I've faced and the MRI costs are outrageous.
[and I've plenty of MRIs myself...I'm supposed to get a head MRI every year because of the injury..but I don't...I hate them]

This also the first time the economy has walloped our home business so badly the money wasn't there.

I hate begging for help.
Begging is anathema to a willful 'hillbilly' like me.
If it were my own health or life in jeopardy, I'd just suffer in silence but it's not...it's an innocent puppy.

At the time, I assumed it was simple dehydration/malnutrition/parasitic overload based on available evidence.

But now that it's become "too hard", should I just take her back and toss her to them again?

Kill her out of convenience?

Hell no!

In my life, I've cleaned up a lot of other people's messes...maybe it's my reason for being here...I don't know.

But this is what it is and I'm not backing down or backing out on this baby.

There are days when I wish I could just have a plain old "normal dog" but that's not how it works with rescued things.

You get what you got and you deal with it, somehow.

FWIW, I survived massive brain injury when I was 20 and for 31 years, I've dealt with neurological issues and deficits and thankfully, nobody ever decided I was too much trouble.

I have no idea what benefit the MRI would be.
Perhaps to see if there's vascular damage or fluid?
Honestly, I don't know.

And please forgive me for my "tone".

I'm so stressed, worried and tired and the emotional roller coaster ride has truly been something straight from hell.

I know I'm a sucker, a sap, an idiot, an easy mark and a soft touch for hard luck stories.

I can't help it.

It's how I'm built.

I suppose if I have to be judged for being too mushy, it's not the worst thing anyone could ever say about me.

:-\

#35 ·
It sounds like you have already been to hell and back with this poor puppy so, I don't know where you are exactly in MD but if you are willing to drive to the Jessup area you could go to VOSM. I work there and while I can not offer you a discount I can tell you that they accept Care Credit and that the MRI place they refer to does as well. CareCredit Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures Dr. Gallagher is a board certified neurologist and he is awesome! Might be a good idea to get a 2nd opinion either way.

VOSM Spine Center link
Spine Center

Animal Scan MRI link
AnimalScan - Advanced Veterinary Imaging

Have you spoken with the "breeder" and more to let them know what is going on? Have they offered any support?

Maybe a more veteran member could answer this question: Would this qualify under a "puppy lemon law"? Could the Salamander take legal action if they wanted to go that route? The jerk that did this to this poor puppy should have some consequences brought down on them.

#50 ·
I'm in western Maryland, about 90 miles from DC so that's not an issue.
We have Care Credit but it's down to only $500 left.
I have to come up with the balance.
I will call the Vienna center Monday and ask for an estimate, there.

No, they have offered no support beyond "we're sorry...we don't know what happened" and I'm not sure about the lemon law since I didn't pay anything for her so she's not a "purchase".
The guy had me sign a paper absolving them of any financial liability anyway.
[I guess they've been to this rodeo, before] :mad:

They told me that the AKC 'checked' them once before but since the dogs have the obligatory food/shelter/water, nothing was done.
Somebody called the SPCA on them too but I think it was for too much barking.

Unfortunately, their kennels are visibly clean, if only 'adequate' and outside [ugh!] , the dogs are well fed [with junky food] so animal control won't touch it.

I don't know if it would even fall under 'abuse' as they didn't "intentionally hurt" her.
Negligence, maybe.
It would be awfully hard to prove and right now, any money I have goes to vets, not lawyers.

FWIW, this must have them shook up as they're wanting to sell several of their adult dogs due to lack of time home with them.

Maybe they'll give up or at least cut way back.

They're not 'bad' people...they're just clueless.

They really do love their dogs but so do I....enough to not overwhelm myself by creating more.

It sounds like you have already been to hell and back with this poor puppy so, I don't know where you are exactly in MD but if you are willing to drive to the Jessup area you could go to VOSM. I work there and while I can not offer you a discount I can tell you that they accept Care Credit and that the MRI place they refer to does as well. CareCredit Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures Dr. Gallagher is a board certified neurologist and he is awesome! Might be a good idea to get a 2nd opinion either way.

VOSM Spine Center link
Spine Center

Animal Scan MRI link
AnimalScan - Advanced Veterinary Imaging

Have you spoken with the "breeder" and more to let them know what is going on? Have they offered any support?

Maybe a more veteran member could answer this question: Would this qualify under a "puppy lemon law"? Could the Salamander take legal action if they wanted to go that route? The jerk that did this to this poor puppy should have some consequences brought down on them.

#52 ·
"...they have offered no support beyond 'we're sorry...we don't know what happened' ..."
The guy had me sign a paper absolving them of any financial liability anyway.
[I guess they've been to this rodeo, before]

They told me that the AKC 'checked' them once before..."
Wow, that says a lot about those people.....a whole lot.

And "No", never suggested you throw her back to the wolves or any other dire suggestions...try not to read anything into what I wrote beyond what I actually said. :):):) Plus, believe the statement was made that most of the reply was for educational purposes for others reading.

Oh yeah, I knew she was only in the tub for that day and was unresponsive when they got home. That is why I felt it could have happened the way I said, but it really doesn't matter how it happened now anyway.

Good luck with your new baby and I hope all turns out well.:)

#53 ·
Thanks, Linda.

I mentioned that I was stressed to the max, angry as hell and worried to death, didn't I?

Everybody should view everything I say through that emotion-infested prism, right now...:)

[and there's a bit of righteous vengeance seething around in there too but I'm trying to not do anything too stupid...yet]

#57 ·
I've already found 'wrong' birth dates for dogs three generations back.

Mom: WS17585801 05/28/06 Don't know where she came from

Grandad: WS 08231104 07/05 [Briarwood Carpe Diem]
I know who/where the owner is

Grandmom: WS04719407 09/06 Don't know where she came from

Right now the puppy is crying for her litter mates.
She's actually tossing her head up and howling like a tiny little wolf.

It is ripping my heart out. :sobbing:

I don't know how to console her.

Unlike every other pup who's ever come here, I can't put her with 'the pack' so they will comfort her.

She's too fragile and Odin [henceforth known as "Bubby" because that's all we call him] is too big and oafish to be around something so tiny.

#59 ·
I am not sure how helpful it will prove to be, but I pieced this together. I think where you were seeing the discrepancies in the birth dates with Dobequest was due to confusion with Stud Book dates. Stud Book Dates "look" like birth dates and I believe are on official AKC pedigrees. They signify the month and year that the Dog was entered into the AKC Stud Book. I can't look up Stood Book dates, but I bet that is the case with the mismatched birthdays as they as they only give a month and a year.

The info for the 4th Generation is out there, but I just didn't look it up right now.

#60 ·
Wow...I sound really mean. Sorry about that, was just trying to give another pespective, tho I stand by it, probably could have been said better by someone else.

And yes, to the person who asked, someone DID pee in my cornflakes thank you very much. :p

#65 ·
Um... Wow.

I'm sorry to read about this poor puppy's misfortune. I will think positive healing and loving thoughts for her; and I wish you all the best with her care. Thank you for caring for her.

I'm sorry, I don't have a lot say. I'm just shocked, angered, horrified and disgusted, that a breeder could be this SH*TTY and irresponsible. :ugone2far:

#72 ·
Um... Wow.

I'm sorry to read about this poor puppy's misfortune. I will think positive healing and loving thoughts for her; and I wish you all the best with her care. Thank you for caring for her.

I'm sorry, I don't have a lot say. I'm just shocked, angered, horrified and disgusted, that a breeder could be this SH*TTY and irresponsible. :ugone2far:

Thank you, Megs.

We can use all the positive thoughts we can get.

:)

#67 ·
Sometimes, even when it's not logical or reasonable, our hearts tell us we have to fight for them. I've been there with little baby animals. More often than not, the outcome was not good, but I don't regret trying. Every once in a while a miracle does happen - I'm praying little Valla will be one of those (love the name, by the way).

I really, really hope these people spay and neuter all of their dogs. They obviously are not responsible or ethical, and this pup is one of the many that are and will pay the price.

#70 ·
I have nursed to health some of the weirdest things.

Most of the time, I was successful...but if I wasn't, at least the critter died having someone who loved, cared and cried for them.

Sometimes, that has to be "enough".

If you haven't seen it, try to find the movie "All The Little Animals".

All the Little Animals (1998) - IMDb

For all of us who love the least of things, this movie will melt your heart.

As far as the people go, I'd like to see them shut down completely.

The sad part is that the wife doesn't appear to be the one 'breeding' and she has two inside Dobes, 1 14 and the other 3, she really, truly does love and treats extremely well.

I know it would kill her to lose them.

[She'd be better off losing the dude]

:mad:

#75 ·
Linda-
FYI. See pedigree above in earilier post. Briarwood Carpe Diem was father to the bitch that is now in the make shift mobile home outdoor "kennel." Owned by Denise Line, a skanky BYB who, unfortunately, is still breeding and touting "Champion Lines". Kennel name is Rare Gems Dobermans out of WV. Denise Line. Latest litter was in March of 2012 with ALLL PUPPIES GOING OUT ON FULL REGISTRATION.

#85 ·
This may sound crazy but desperate times call for desperate measures, start an Indigogo campaign online. It's free to sign up and you could possibly get the web exposure you need to raise the money for her treatment. It's like centralizing a web page that anyone can donate to. Just a thought. It might help.

#87 ·
When I do get some sleep, I dream about the other pups.

They're supposedly being looked at by potential new owners so maybe they'll get whatever help they need.

Again, supposedly, they were eating just fine and not acting like Halla is.

Can somebody answer this for me?

She is eating and drinking but seems very stressed.

She keeps running around 'searching' and howling for her mom/litter mates and has been biting and tugging at her blanket, bed and our fingers, almost like she's so frustrated that she's angry at everything.

That scares me.

Is she just frustrated and upset or is she having some kind of seizure?

She isn't biting 'uncontrollably', it seems very intentional and she stops 'punishing' her stuff if you pet her.

That wouldn't be some kind of 'seizure event' would it?

I'm so afraid for her.

#89 ·
Honestly, I don't know.

She's not 'sensitive' anywhere and ate her breakfast with gusto and drank from a bowl for me, finally.

She just seems agitated and inconsolable.

I called the e-vets again and they felt that it wasn't seizure activity.

She went from near comatose when I picked her up, spent an entire day 'down' and full of Valium in the hospital to 'all of sudden waking up' to find herself amongst total strangers and her family gone.

I just don't know.

She's way too young to be away from her family already and her impaired vision is not helping at all.

Eventually she settles down and goes to sleep but while she's awake, she's looking for them incessantly.

She even went to the bedroom door, sat down in front of it and howled her little heart out.

#91 · (Edited)
she is no doubt missing her siblings and mom.

sounds like she may just be trying to play, all be it a bit roughly like most pups who have not yet learned that nipping hurts the one being nipped and it is not allowed.

does not sound like any pre seizure activity.

but i would keep a close eye on her temperature in case she has or does develope a brain infection from that head injury, and/or an infection at the site of the elbow injury.
http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/types-dog-head-injuries

Hugz to Halla and Odhinn!

#95 ·
she is no doubt missing her siblings and mom.

sounds like she may just be trying to play, all be it a bit roughly like most pups who have not yet learned that nipping hurts the one being nipped and it is not allowed.

does not sound like any pre seizure activity.

but i would keep a close eye on her temperature in case she has or does develope a brain infection from that head injury, and/or an infection at the site of the elbow injury.
Dog Head Injuries: Skull Fracture, Concussion, Seizure, and More Types

Hugz to Halla and Odhinn!
She is really upset with me about the temperature checking.

I bought the tiniest, "fastest" baby thermometer available but she really hates it.

She's already on Clindamycin for any potential infections.

I'm washing off one of Odin's silicone puppy toys [an ugly green fish] so she'll have something to chomp on.

Poor pup is not going to get the whole 'bite inhibition' education she would have.

I'm going to the pet stores to try and find her a warming pad.

My heating pads were just too hot, even on low and using a temerature regulating rheostat.

I assume the pet versions are regulated properly.

*And* I'm going to try and find another ticking clock.

The junker I got at KMart stopped working after only an hour.

They have sound machines for people who can't sleep..why haven't they made a puppy comfort sound machine yet?

A person could get rich, if they did. :rolleyesww:

#96 ·
I wouldn't think so if she was only on it for one day.

I take Valium for severe anxiety disorder and in people, you have to take it for quite a while before you're 'addicted' enough to have withdrawal.

I guess it's the same for pups. (?)

I don't know what other meds she got in her IVs.

I think it was mostly nutrients and glucose.

#93 ·
I do not understand all the concern over paperwork. It seems that these pups have suffered some real stress at a very very young age. The health issues will manifest more and more as their young bodies try to develop. A big red flag should posted with these pups so that anyone who gets them knows that health risks are so much higher than a person who takes breeding as a complete responsiblity. I do not mean disregard the pups but the new owners should be prepared for what could be ahead (finacially and emotionally)
The person who provided the shed/trailer for the female should be shamed.
proper nutrition should be the focus not birthdays!

#97 ·
There was a question about whether the Briarwood dog was even legal to be bred and if something could be done via the AKC if he was not.

That's why the paperwork was brought up.

It turns out that he is able to be legally bred so nothing can be done to them through the AKC.

Hope that clarifies things.

[I'd prefer something worse than "shamed", myself]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.