Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

6 week old puppy in dire straits...please help!

17K views 133 replies 37 participants last post by  triciabri 
#1 ·
I ran into the people who have Odin's daddy and they told me they had a Briarwood/Kay Hill lines bitch about to whelp so after they were born I went to visit.
[I like to keep tabs on my boy's dad]

The pups were in heated/cooled outbuilding but had no whelping box or other bedding.
It was chilly when I got there and they both work long hours so they 'set the temps' for the dogs and leave for the day and hadn't turned on the heat yet.

There were two boys and two girls, one of which was a runt but viable.

I picked up the bigger girl and noticed she was shaking oddly as were some of the other pups but not to as great a degree.
I assumed the inability to thermoregulate and/or cold and stress of the mom being out of the building was responsible.

I put her down and she mostly just sat there until she tried to eat the crappy dry 'confetti' food put out for them.

The dam came back in and the shaky girl went for the back teat with gusto and I helped the runt find an empty faucet as she wasn't managing well against her much bigger siblings.

At that time, the pups were chubby but I took over 50 pounds of very good dog food for them [which they still didn't moisten] and 3 dog houses.

Flash forward to yesterday when I got a frantic call that the bigger girl was still shaking, possibly 'seizing' and so forth.
The pups had been wormed with Nemex? the day before.

I had to wait until they got home from work and went over.
The girl was in their bathroom in the tub with some milk [from which she had supposedly drank greedily that morning] flat out and listless.

I took her out to the living room and out her down and she walked around a bit but seemed weak.

The next thing I know, she and her papers are being shoved to me so that I can 'take her home and fix her up'.

We hadn't gone 10 miles before I knew we had to get to an e-vet NOW.
35 minutes later, we were there and they ran a CBC on her.

She was anemic, dehydrated, low blood protein and some other less horrific things I can't recall right now [sleep deprived] but her breathing/temps/heart rate were good.

So they gave her a huge SubQ and as we were about to leave, I asked if they'd done a fecal.

So they did one and found she still had a 'substantial roundworm infestation'.

They wormed her again with Drontal. [I think was the name]

We left.

Halfway home she got restless, started yelping, pushing her front legs straight and arching her head back.
I thought she had to pee and stopped to let her piddle in a parking lot.
She didn't there but did pee in my lap once back in the car a few minutes later.

She was now doing a "Stevie Wonder" imitation where her head was moving around oddly and she didn't seem to be able to hold her head up.

We turned around an went back to the evet.

By the time we got there [30 minutes] she was limp and somewhat unresponsive.

Her front legs were in a locked and extended position which did get a little 'better' after an hour at the vet, alternating from flexible to 'locked forward' again.
They her took back to the exam room again and then came out and told me she was not reacting to fingers flicking near eyes...she was "blind".

The 'breeder' says she walked right to her that morning and I can't say myself if she seemed to be able to see during the brief span of time I's had her on the floor of their house.

The evet postulated neurological issues, seizures, possible issues from worms/dehydration, etc and kept her over night in an 'incubator'.

I called this morning and she did eat greedily but threw it back up, probably from not eating then pigging out.
She is, in the vet's word's "more normal" today but she is still "blind".

I had her tested for TBDs and she is negative.

And I noticed she has a calcified lump on her right elbow that appears to be a healed bone break, possibly acquired during birth, according to the vet.

I have never seen or heard of anything like all of this.

*Any* help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since she is, apparently, now "my dog".
[and racking up the vet bills at an incredible rate]

Has anyone ever encountered something like this, that I might have any suggestions for the vets to check for?

Although this was a wholly unexpected and shocking turn of events in my relatively calm life, of course, now that I've spent time holding her and trying to save her, sadly, I love her and am emotionally invested.

And I've named her...so I'm truly doomed.

Please offer anything you've got...except, please, condemnation for getting involved, riot acts for 'taking home strays' or yelling at me for answering the phone.
I've already flogged myself quite thoroughly.

[note to self: turn the caller ID back on]

If it helps at all, this is a photo of her about at [around] 3 weeks or so when her eyes had just opened and again, about 10 days ago:

See less See more
#2 ·
Bless your heart for trying to help this little one.

I've got no advice...I know very little about pups at that young of an age. Perhaps you can PM StarlaineK9, Dobebug, or Darkevs who are all incredibly knowledgable?

#3 ·
Is it possible that this pup has some kind of seizure disorder? That was my first thought with the stiffening of the legs, yelping and blindness.

#5 ·
I don't know.
The vets don't know.
All the pups were 'shaking' to some degree but she was the worst.

I do know that they were not home to properly separate the mom so the pups could eat their food while she was weaning them.

I tried to detail everything I know which isn't much since I wasn't there to see what was really going on.

[it's pretty far from where I live]

#6 ·
BLESS YOU for taking on this sweet pup and trying to save her life. I can't offer any advice other than you're doing a great job by getting her to the vet and now it's up to her to see if she has the will to fight or if her little body has already been through too much.

Many prayers being sent to you today.

(hugs) and thank you for saving her.

#7 ·
Oh my goodness, what a sad story for this pup and her littermates!!! I am sorry I do not have suggestions as this would all be new to me too. But I think that is a great idea to reach out to some of the more experienced breeders on the forum.

I am sending lots of positive thoughts to you and this little girl. Hope she will be ok!

Thank you for everything you are doing to help her!

#8 · (Edited)
poor little girl.

bless ya for helping, the conditions the pups were in.....yikes.

seems odd that she had similar reactions each time she was wormed.

so hard to say what all is causing all the issues she has experienced in her short life so far.

she could very well have had a seizure as a result of her being "anemic, dehydrated, low blood protein............."

I have never dealt with anything like what your little girl is going through.............

Hugz and hope for your little girl.

#11 ·
I can't help but wonder if she got into some rat poison in that shed, S.

I mean, the anemia, the low blood protein, seizures.

Just something to ask the vet.

Sorry the little bit is having such a rough time.

#13 · (Edited)
more and more I am thinking those 'trembling' pups were having seizures.

and seizures can result in 'apparent' blindness or even blindness.

maybe do some research on seizures and blindness and seizures in puppies.

poor little gaffers...............

did a little googling myself.........

http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/about-puppy-seizures_762.html

"Onset
As the seizure takes control of the puppy's body, his eyes may appear glazed and he may not react to his surroundings. His body may tremble and stiffen. Depending upon the severity of the seizure, the dog may clamp his jaws tightly together, drool or fall to her side on the floor.
Post-Seizure
An average seizure lasts approximately 2 minutes and as the puppy begins to recover, he may experience residual effects, known as the post-ictal period. He may pant and appear to have difficulty focusing on objects. He may seem lethargic for a couple of hours or up to 2 days. Gradually, his vision will return.
Causes
Low blood pressure is a common cause of seizures in some puppies, especially if the dog is a toy breed. In diabetic pups, seizures may be the result of an excess insulin dosage. Other metabolic disorders may contribute to seizures, including low calcium levels or high blood ammonia levels. Lead poisoning is a common cause of puppy seizures, since puppies chew on many objects that contain lead, including the woodwork in older homes. Other contributing causes may include encephalitis, heat stroke, a deformity in the central nervous system or a head trauma."

#15 ·
They think she's had head trauma.

The office manager is a Dober rescuer and said even if she could afford the money for the MRIs/etc, she wouldn't do it.

Says the pup is very bad off and barring a miracle, the end will be the same, neuro tests/MRI or not.

I have to kill my puppy.

I want to die.

more and more I am thinking those 'trembling' pups were having seizures.

and seizures can result in 'apparent' blindness or even blindness.

maybe do some research on seizures and blindness and seizures in puppies.

poor little gaffers...............

did a little googling myself.........

About Puppy Seizures | The Daily Puppy

"Onset
As the seizure takes control of the puppy's body, his eyes may appear glazed and he may not react to his surroundings. His body may tremble and stiffen. Depending upon the severity of the seizure, the dog may clamp his jaws tightly together, drool or fall to her side on the floor.
Post-Seizure
An average seizure lasts approximately 2 minutes and as the puppy begins to recover, he may experience residual effects, known as the post-ictal period. He may pant and appear to have difficulty focusing on objects. He may seem lethargic for a couple of hours or up to 2 days. Gradually, his vision will return.
Causes
Low blood pressure is a common cause of seizures in some puppies, especially if the dog is a toy breed. In diabetic pups, seizures may be the result of an excess insulin dosage. Other metabolic disorders may contribute to seizures, including low calcium levels or high blood ammonia levels. Lead poisoning is a common cause of puppy seizures, since puppies chew on many objects that contain lead, including the woodwork in older homes. Other contributing causes may include encephalitis, heat stroke, a deformity in the central nervous system or a head trauma."

#17 ·
You're not killing the puppy. The humans who did not care properly for her or protect her are the ones responsible.

You are kindly having someone gentle and knowledgeable help her cross over. Her body is not able to sustain her soul now, and her soul needs to go free, to a place of joy and no suffering.

Cry for her, bless her, and let her go.

#19 ·
She got love, and she got a name. That's more than many puppies get, in this hard world.

Tell us her name, and I will light the white candle in her honor.

#20 ·
who the h*ll is this breeder that just gave you a sick puppy to deal with when they should have been the ones to deal with the mess they made!! God, this whole thing just makes me want to slap them upside the head!!

I am really sorry you had to be the one to care for her - at least she knew a little love.

#22 ·
I am so sorry.

Yes, you're choosing to put the puppy down but you did not fail this creature and her death should not be on you. You took responsibility for something you shouldn't have ever needed to take responsibility for and you did what you could. I'm sure that if you thought there was a real chance at a healthy life you'd be taking other options but putting the puppy down in some cases, like this one, is the right thing to do for the puppy.

Sleep softly, little puppy.

#37 ·
I have [gently, for maximum effect] read the riot act to the owners of the mom and scared them enough that hopefully they'll be watching them better, if it's not already too late.

I had the woman go out immediately yesterday to check the other pups' vision.
Whether she managed to successfully do that I won't know until I hear from her again.

I did all I could for the other pups.

The food they're eating now is probably something they'll never see the likes of again.....:(

Right now, since 'Halla is waking every few hours demanding food, I'm focusing on her will to live, despite her disabilities.

She even walked around the bedroom a bit, bumping into only one thing so I'm not sure if she's totally blind, can see shadows or what.

I am begging online friends for donations towards her MRI and bless them, despite a terrible economy, they're giving what they can and we have about $400 towards the $2400 already.

During a very dark moment of utter despair, I asked one dear friend *why* this is happening to her...and to me.

His answer was that perhaps God brought her to me because he knew that I was the only person available who would fight for the life of one lowly, blind puppy.

She is nobody in the grand scheme of things....but to us, she is priceless and precious.

Every second that she doesn't 'seize' is a miraculous joy.
Every bite of food that she eats is a wonderment.
Every shaky, wobbly puppy-step is thing to be celebrated.

#27 ·
How sad but putting her down is the very last thing you can do for her to prevent suffering. It is never easy to make those decisions but doing it for the puppy and being there is all you could do. The jerks that gave you the puppy are the pitiful ones and i bet ya they will breed again and again and again. Wash your hands of the like and find a breeder that will allow you to fall in love with a puppy that can survive. You gave that puppy the last jesture of love and she thanks you for not allowing her to suffer.

#29 ·
Well, it's all changed, now.

Considering that we thought we were going down to have her put to sleep based on the latest 'update', she's doing pretty good.

She's home, eating like mad and peeing on her puppy pads like a good little girl.

She just ate some salmon, wobbled back into her crate and her snuggy bed so I have hope.

They're wanting us to have her neuro tested and MRIs done.

[about $2800 at the Leesburg VA neuro-vet hospital...I nearly had a heart attack]

Here's the rub...aren't vets supposed to be about healing animals, first?

The only animal MRI here is cash only, up front, in full.

No payment plans, no exceptions, no mercy.

Fork it out or let your pet die.

WTF?!?

So, we're hoping to keep her going until we scrape that massive amount up, somehow.

Along with everything else, she's had a head injury.

The Dobe-owning office manager spotted it this morning.

The left side of her head has soft tissue swelling and she has a 'a pain reaction' when they palpate her skull.

Concussion?
Swollen brain?
Fluid?
Something's going on in there.

Isn't there a Dobe financial assistance group somewhere?

We're "robbing Peter to pay Paul" like crazy but $2800 might as well be 28 million.

But on the bright side, she's still alive and trying to survive.

She wants to live and I will do whatever I can to let her.

#30 ·
One could think of this situation as prolonging her suffering. And if I was in this situation and had other pets their wellbeing should absolutely be taken into consideration also- what if something happens to them after this financial drain?

One thing about our living situation, should anything happen to me tomorrow, I am pretty sure one of our dogs would have to be rehomed, but should that ever happen I do everything in my power to have them be as easy to live with as possible should the unthinkable occur, because it isn't easy finding homes for hard-to-live with dogs.

Also yes while there are assistance groups unless you're willing to out who has done this to a litter of puppies I think it's unfair to burden an already overstretched system when there are people who've cared for their dogs their whole lives that for whatever reason have fallen on hard times for treatment and legitimately need help, when these dipshit breeders caused this tragedy on little puppies with a future full of expensive medical problems, pain and suffering before their lives even got started.
There are not many people qualified to handle blind dogs, it requires someone highly experienced.
JMO

#32 ·
There are not many people qualified to handle blind dogs, it requires someone highly experienced.
A friend of mine who founded The Blind Dog Rescue Alliance would dispute this. In her opinion, and in the opinion of others I know who either own or have fostered blind dogs, having a blind dog is very little different from having a sighted dog. Not to mention, whether or not this pup is/will remain blind is unknown at this point.

#31 ·
I am so glad to read this! I was afraid to write before, afraid that what could not be undone had already been done... Yes! Give her a chance!

Once upon a time, about another puppy, my son was weighing euthanasia now or later. My vet (who is a very clinical, science-y guy) startled me by advising not to be hasty, and saying that sometimes animals would find it in themselves to fix themselves, even when we did not know how to help or even what was wrong. I hope I remember this, in case I am ever in a situation where those words have value again.

I would suggest that before the hefty dollars are spent, perhaps a simple x-ray might be in order. If the hefty dollars cannot be avoided, possibly Special Needs Dobermans - Helping Owned AND Rescue Dobes! could help you.

I very much hope that this story has a happy ending. What is her name?

#40 ·
I am so glad to read this! I was afraid to write before, afraid that what could not be undone had already been done... Yes! Give her a chance!

Once upon a time, about another puppy, my son was weighing euthanasia now or later. My vet (who is a very clinical, science-y guy) startled me by advising not to be hasty, and saying that sometimes animals would find it in themselves to fix themselves, even when we did not know how to help or even what was wrong. I hope I remember this, in case I am ever in a situation where those words have value again.

I would suggest that before the hefty dollars are spent, perhaps a simple x-ray might be in order. If the hefty dollars cannot be avoided, possibly Special Needs Dobermans - Helping Owned AND Rescue Dobes! could help you.

I very much hope that this story has a happy ending. What is her name?
She will get every chance there is to live.
My other dogs have insurance so the other poster's 'issue' is moot.

Little 'Halla [named "Vahalla" because she has the brave spirit of a Valkyrie] does not have insurance and probably never will.

We just need to get over this first huge hurdle to see what her future can be.

I have friends with blind dogs.
[micro-ophthalmic...born with NO EYES at all]
They are Ibizan Hounds and they run with the rest of the pack like they can see perfectly well.

Life will find a way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.